The Watch Site banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seiko In the Movies...

Authored by Isthmus et al

The following is a repost and update of an old thread, which I figured would be fun to save as a reference. Please feel free to add to this thread as you find new Seikos used in movies.

---------------------------

First on the list is James Bond. Commander Bond wore different Seiko's (and one non-seiko pulsar) in several movies. Here is a few links for you to see:

http://www.jamesbondwatches.com/the-list-eon-movies.htm

http://www.jamesbondwatches.com/index-seiko.htm

and

http://watchismo.blogspot.com/2006/1...history-q.html

and

http://www.jamesbondwiki.com/page/Ja...Watches?t=anon

There are several other seikos that have also made it on film:

According to Kelly Rayburn, In the movie
Bobby Deerfield, Al Pacino wears a white dialed 6139-7100 chronograph. You can barely see the watch on his wrist here:

[b]Here is a picture of the watch in question posted by Kelley Rayburn[/b][b]:[/b]

[img]
[b][color=red]---------------------------[/b]

[b]There is also the Seiko H558-5000, nicknamed the "Arnold", a modified version of which was worn by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie Commando. Here is a picture of the original watch:[/b]

[img]

[b]And here is one of the modified one from the movie:[/b]

[img]

[img]

[b]
Arnold also wore an unmolested version of the [/b][b]H558-5000 [/b][b]in the movie Predator, as seen clearly in this poster from that movie:[/b]

[img]

[b]In the movie [/b][b]Apocalypse Now, Martin Sheen wears[/b][b] the classic asymmetrical 6105-8110/8119 diver on one of the rarer strap options available for this watch:[/b]

[img]

[img] [i](source: [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]David Chan[/i])
[b][color=red]

---------------------------[/b]
[b]
According to watchdude in [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]this thread, the same [/b][b]6105-8110/8119 model [/b][b]was also worn (along with another Seiko diver) in the movie The Deep:[/b]

[i]"The character "Romer Treece" [played by actor Robert Shaw] wore 2 Seikos actually, one was a VERY old 60's 150m dive model (non-locking crown) and the other was certainly the 6105-8110/8119 (of Apocalypse Now fame) in a brief underwater shot."
[/i]
[img]
[i](shaw is the guy on the left. you can barely see the watch strap on his wrist)[/i]

[b]The second watch mentioned in [/b][b][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]David Chan's [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]post[/b][b] is the cushion-cased 6309-7040/7049 Diver worn by Ed Harris in the movie The Abbyss:[/b]

[img]

[b]and as also seen in this screen cap here:[/b]

[img]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Image Source

[b]
According to Cobrajet in [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]this Post:[/b]

[i]"Sigourney Weaver wears a silver Seiko 7A28-7001 Giugiaro chrono in "Aliens". The rest of the Colonial Marines (Bill Paxton, Michael Beihn, and others) in that movie wear Seiko digital pulsemeters."
[/i]
[b]This is a picture of that watch, [color=red][u]which it's not the black version that is typically claimed to be the one[/u], but rather the silver one (she does wear a black watch at one point in the movie Alien (not Aliens), but I have not been able to determine what that was:[/b]

[img]http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/images/com/network54/75/77/c4/9f/bd4744ffe345505b75092e95.jpg

Here are a few other pics from Aliens showing Ripley with the silver Seiko:

[b]Uwe / Ostendorf posted the following pics of his collection of the giugaro Aliens watches in [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]this thread which include the true black 7A28-6000 seiko chrono [/b][b]worn in the movie Aliens. This one was not worn by Ripley though, but rather by Lans Henriksen who played the android Bishop (not his image of the silver watch has the incorrect color pushers - they are supposed to be black):[/b]

[img]http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/images/de/lycos/mitglied/bb/d9/a8/d4/c93a245e0cdda7ab9a40b3ac.jpg

jneds expanded on the post by providing more images from the movie showing Bishop wearing the watch:

The Colonial Marines in the movie Aliens also wore seikos. IN their case they all wore the same Seiko S234 Pulsemeter similar to this one belonging to Badern:

[b]Here are some screen Caps of the colonial Marines wearing the Pulsemeters:[/b]

[img]http://www.michaelbiehn.net/graphics/scrncaps/aliens/aliens010.jpg

Jim Snyder reports that In the movie Platoon, Charlie Sheen can be seen wearing what seems to be a vintage
6602-8040 with a white dial no date:

[b]
As reported by Jake Boudreax here, in the movie, the Lords of Dogtown, the actor playing Stacy Peralta (on the right) gets a ribbing for buying a watch with the money he makes from his part-time job. The problem is that the watch used in the movie, and seems to be either an SQ a 7002 or a modern 173. The problem is thatthe movie's set in the mid-'70s, so the watch should have been a 6105.[/b]

[img]http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/images/com/photobucket/i39/cf/1f/e3/a4/e6ca64d3c6c6eab780595fbc.jpg

According to "lordsinclair" here at WUS:

"...The superbly named character Rufus Excalibur Ffolkes, played by Roger Moore in the 1980 movie Ffolkes (UK title: North Sea Hijack) wears a Seiko Pro Diver - I think the model # is 7549-7009, the 600M quartz. There are several good close-ups in the movie. I rented in from Netflix a while back. Pretty good action thriller, also starring Anthony Perkins, and the great James Mason."

a little online search turned up the following images (look at Moore's right hand):

[b][color=red]---------------------------

[/b][b]Seiko also specifically designed two watches for the animated movie "Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within". IIRC, it came in black as well and maybe other colors. Here are the watches in question:[/b]

[img]

[b]The one on the left (model number STP005) is real and the one on the right never made it to production. The STP005 was expensive to make and seiko offset the cost by spreading variants of the watch over different brands. The one on the right was intended to be produced and as I understand it, prototypes were built. however it was deemed too expensive and never saw production.

Here is another pic of that model:[/b]

[img]

[b]You can see the characters from the movie wearing the watches here:[/b]

[img]

[b]Amongst those reported sightings of Seikos in the movies for which I have been unable to find pictures, there are the following:[/b]

[b]- Kevin McCarthy reports the following:[/b]
[i]
"There is a a 6105-8110 in this Movie Midnight Express. It was Made in 1978, an American College guy is caught smuggling Hashish out of turkey. He is arrested, and does several Years of Prison time in turkey. In one Scene when he is arrested at the airpot, in a room with sevevral Police or soldiers one of them is standing behind him with a 6105 on."

[/i][b]- According to Luis Carlo at the TZ seiko forum a golden dialed 6139-600x like the Pogue was used in the 1980 film flash Gordon:[/b]

[i]"[/i][i]Is rather known the Pogue's Seiko 6139 Chrono space adventure in the SkyLab. But I don't know if someone is informed about the other trip to the outer space of this Seiko watch.

[/i][i]In 1980 Dino DeLaurentiis's "Flash Gordon", Flash (Sam J. Jones in fact) use a similar yellow dial Seiko 6139 on his wrist, as we can see in the following picture in which the main character is inside a spacecraft ready to go to other galaxy.[/i]"

[font=verdana]
Originally Posted by [b]Gerry[/b]
In "For Your Eyes Only", from 1981, James Bond (Roger Moore) wears a 600m Seiko 7549-7009 (the bezel has the gold finish):

[img]

In the same movie, Bond-girl Melina Havelock also appears to wear a women's Seiko with a tropic strap...but difficult to work out which one.[/font]

[font=verdana]Originally Posted by [/font]lordsinclairArnold Schwarzenegger has always been a hero of mine. I admire his success, and I am a fan of many of his movies. Arnie is also a WIS, so I though it might be a bit of fun to review all of his movies, and highlight any watch-related content. My rating out of five for each movie is entirely subjective, and based purely on my own enjoyment. And yes, I actually watched every one of these movies over the past month or so. Please note that I don't have a web site or blog to post this, so I apologize in advance to anyone using dial-up. Conan the Barbarian 1982 - 3/5A pretty solid debut by Arnold, if swords and sorcery is your thing. No watch content, of course, but we do get to see the big man in this memorable outfit:[img]

Conan the Destroyer 1984 - 1/5Pointless Conan sequel, in which Grace Jones stinks up every scene she is in, and a bemused looking Wilt Chamberlain is clearly out of his depth. Also, some of the worst special effects known to mankind. No watch content.The Terminator 1984 - 4/5Seminal sci-fi movie that launched the stellar career of director James Cameron, confirmed Arnold as a leading man, and gave the world the phrase "I'll be back." Sadly, no watch content.Red Sonja 1985 - 2/5More swords and sorcery, although Arnold is relegated largely to a cameo role, in a move designed to lend credibility to what is effectively a Bridget Nielsen flick. Again, no watch content.Commando 1985 - 3/5Finally a wristwatch! Arnie plays retired Special Forces one-man army John Matrix, whose daughter is kidnapped by perhaps the most effeminate and least threatening villain in movie history. For those who haven't seen this movie, rent the director's cut and you'll see what I mean. Plus, probably the most people shot by one man in a movie until the most recent Rambo flick! Arnold sports a Seiko H558 for the first time:The eagle-eyed will note that an extra digital display has been added above the marker at six:
[img]
Arnold has eleven hours to save his daughter:[img]
Ugh! A great watch ruined by some not-so-special special effects changes:[img]
Raw Deal 1986 - 3/5Pretty good action flick, in which Arnie plays a disgraced former FBI man bought back for a secret undercover job. Once again, the H558 makes an appearance in quite a number of scenes:[img]

[img]

Predator 1987 - 5/5The first essential Arnie movie. Great sci-fi meets action thriller, with Arnie in perhaps the best shape of his movie career, leading a band of Special Forces ops on a jungle rescue mission that isn't what it appears to be. Again, Arnie sports a Seiko H558:
[img][img]
The Running Man 1987 - 3/5Arnie is framed for a massacre he didn't commit, escapes from prison, and ends up an unwilling contestant on the world's most popular game show. Not a bad movie, but not one of my favorites. Arnie wears his H558, but inexplicably changes to a G-Shock:[img][img] [img]
Red Heat 1988 - 3/5Arnie plays a straight-laced Russian cop transplanted to Chicago in pursuit of a drug dealer, with Jim Belushi as the cultural antagonist and comic relief. A pretty good buddy-buddy movie, with more violence than I remembered. Arnie sports an unidentified watch (Russian?), which gets some good close-ups:
[img][img]
Twins 1988 - 2/5Arnie and Danny Devito play genetically engineered twins. Separated at birth, they suffer entirely different fates until Arnie sets out to find his brother. Interesting premise that falls flat, despite the best efforts of Devito and Arnie. Also, possibly the worst DVD transfer I have ever seen. The eagle-eyed will spot Arnie's Seiko (H558 or similar) in the very closing frames of the film:
[img]
Total Recall 1990 - 1/5Without a doubt Arnie's worst movie, although I am sure many will disagree. Terrible acting from the supporting cast, cynical, dull, and with some of the worst special effects ever. Strangely, everyone seems to wear a watch in this movie exceptArnold...Kindergarten Cop 1990 - 3/5I hadn't seen this for years, and it really isn't too bad. Arnie plays a tough LA cop forced to go undercover as a small-town Oregon kindergarten teacher. In doing so, he sports what appears to be a Seiko 7C43-6A00:
[img][img]

Terminator 2 Judgment Day 1991 - 2/5Tedious sequel loved by most but not by me. Arnie comes back as a good Terminator to save hysterical Sarah Connor, and her whining son, John (an absolutely abysmal performance by Edward Furlong). No watch content.Last Action Hero 1993 - 2/5Better than the reviews would have you believe. Arnie plays action movie hero Jack Slater, who finds he has a junior partner when a Slater-obsessed kid gets sucked by magic into his latest movie. Uneven action flick with lots of Hollywood in-jokes, some of which are funny. Arnie once again sports a Seiko (either a H558 or H601):
[img][img]

True Lies 1994 - 5/5Arnie plays super spy Harry Tasker, who tracks down international nuclear terrorists while pretending to be a computer salesman. For me, Arnie's best movie. Both Schwarzenegger and director James Cameron give it their all, supported by Tom Arnold in a superb performance as Arnie's partner, and Bill Paxton in an absolutely incredible cameo as a sleazy used car salesman/spy wannabe. I believe that this is the first movie in which Arnie wears Audemars Piguet (pic 1) although sadly there are no close-ups. Pics 2 and 3 look more like a Seiko, though:
[img][img][img]

Junior 1994 - 1/5Arnie and Danny Devito play fertility doctors, who take drastic action to prove their research when their academic funding is cut off. Emma Thompson hams up her role as a ditzy British scientist, and the only good laugh comes when Arnie dresses in drag and attends a pre-natal class. Devito gives Arnie a horrible Bulova alarm watch to time his medication intake, so even the watch sucks in this very poor movie:[img][img]

Eraser 1996 - 4/5Very entertaining action flick, in which Arnie plays a Marshall in the Witness Protection Program, attempting to keep a star witness alive in a case involving black market weapons sales, and treason. Perhaps the most famous watch shot in any Arnie movie comes during the opening credits, when he sets his Panerai Luminor ......:
[img]

Action shot from the movie:
[img]

Jingle All the Way 1996 - 4/5This is really a 3.5 movie, but what the heck. In the spirit of Christmas, I'll give it a four. Above-average Arnie comedy, in which he plays a work-obsessed father who forgets to get his son the must-have toy of the season. A memorable turn by Sinbad, as Arnie's main competition in hunting down the sold-out toy in time for Christmas. Arnie is again wearing Seiko (H601 I believe):[img][img]

Batman and Robin 1997 - 2/5Often included in lists of the top 10 worst movies of all time, I actually didn't think this was too terrible. It was certainly more enjoyable than Total Recall! No watch content.End of Days 1999 - 3/5Arnie's first foray into the horror genre is a reasonable effort. Personally, I can't be doing with this stuff, but Arnie is quite entertaining as a washed-up alcoholic New York cop, looking for personal redemption, and to save the world, on the eve of the Millennium. Audemars Piguet produced a special edition watch for this movie. Unfortunately, as most of the movie is filmed in darkness, we only get fleeting glimpses until the obligatory marketing close-up near the end. This is my favorite Arnie watch. Now, if I only had $50,000, which is about the going rate for a used example...

[img]

Sorry for the small pic. I had a problem with Photobucket with this image. Here is a promo shot for the watch:[img]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/lordsinclair_pictures/ARNOLDSC.jpg

The 6th Day 2000 - 1/5More lackluster sci-fi, in which Arnie plays a helicopter pilot cloned for some reason or other that I can barely remember now. Even the great Robert Duvall couldn't save this turkey. Arnie sports a white-dial chrono, of which we get one quick glimpse. Maybe an IWC, but who knows?

Collateral Damage 2002 - 3/5Solid action flick in which Arnie plays LA firefighter Gordy Brewer, who witnesses the terrorist murders of his wife and child, and sets out for revenge. Arnie sports an AP ROO in this movie, and we are treated to some good close-ups:

[img][img]Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines 2003 - 2/5"I'll be back..." And he was, for a third time as a Terminator. Unfortunately, Arnie seems to phone this one in, and the rest we have seen before. I watched this back-to-back with T2, and they are basically the same movie - just one great long chase. The movie features perhaps the most famous Arnie watch, the AP T3, although sadly more is not made of it. Incredibly, Arnie finds the watch (MSRP about $25,000) behind the sun visor of some crappy truck he is appropriating. It drops into his palm, and we get the only close-up when he scans it. I love this watch, so I added a promo shot for good measure:

[img]

[img]

[img]

That's it! A great movie career, and some cool watch moments, too. I'd be delighted if this post generates any replies - either in agreement with my reviews, challenging them (come on Total Recall fans, you know you want to!), or putting me straight if I got a watch model wrong - so feel free to post. And finally, if anyone can let me know definitively what watch Arnold wears in True Lies, I'd be very happy to know. [font=verdana][/font]Originally Posted by lordsinclairKindergarten Cop 1990 - 3/5I hadn't seen this for years, and it really isn't too bad. Arnie plays a tough LA cop forced to go undercover as a small-town Oregon kindergarten teacher. In doing so, he sports what appears to be a Seiko 7C43-6A00:[img][img]

According to Galpo and Thian wong. The watch from Kindergarten Cop is not a Seiko at all, but rather a Casio.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts