The Watch Site banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was traveling without reading material last week. Bad move. In desperation, after making three passes in an airport shop, I picked up a copy of the Bourne Identity. I was pleased to find it readable and substantively different from the movie (which must have annoyed thousands of Ludlum fans when the first movie came out). I was tickled to read this passage:

The message was clear, this was Marseilles. And a half hour later the gold Girard Perregaux was no longer on his wrist, having been replaced by a Seiko chronograph and eight hundred francs. Everything had a value in relation to its practicality; the chronograph was shockproof.

Given the original publication date of 1975 what do we think? 6139 or 6138? Of course later on in the book he refers to a sweeping second hand which annoys the informed reader. Almost as much as several references to a revolver with a silencer. Yeesh. I think in the end Ludlum is a bit of a hack. Readable but a hack. If you want a top notch and uniquely written spy thriller try Eric Ambler.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I share your pain! Having to choose a novel from an airport bookstore can be an awful experience. Although I suspect that Ludlum must be better than any recent Tom Clancy. Or any Cussler ever (I doubt I could ever wear a Doxa...)

·
Administrator
33,842 Posts
If you ever want a top writer then go for Wilbur Smith, no Seiko's or other watches mentioned as a rule but top books ;)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Strange coincidence! Some years ago I read the same book, and since I have a Girard-Perregaux and several Seiko 6138 chronos from the same era, I started to write a comparison review. One day I'll definitely get around to finishing it.........

Unlike you however, I found the movie infinitely better than the book. What's the old showbiz phrase? You can't please all the people all the time........ ::)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
sjbrook said:
Was traveling without reading material last week. Bad move. In desperation, after making three passes in an airport shop, I picked up a copy of the Bourne Identity. I was pleased to find it readable and substantively different from the movie (which must have annoyed thousands of Ludlum fans when the first movie came out). I was tickled to read this passage:

The message was clear, this was Marseilles. And a half hour later the gold Girard Perregaux was no longer on his wrist, having been replaced by a Seiko chronograph and eight hundred francs. Everything had a value in relation to its practicality; the chronograph was shockproof.

Given the original publication date of 1975 what do we think? 6139 or 6138? Of course later on in the book he refers to a sweeping second hand which annoys the informed reader. Almost as much as several references to a revolver with a silencer. Yeesh. I think in the end Ludlum is a bit of a hack. Readable but a hack. If you want a top notch and uniquely written spy thriller try Eric Ambler.

I wonder if he means shockproof literally as in the watchmaker's use of it or in a more figurative sense. Based on your comment about a silencer, I would suspect the latter.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sir said:
Strange coincidence! Some years ago I read the same book, and since I have a Girard-Perregaux and several Seiko 6138 chronos from the same era, I started to write a comparison review. One day I'll definitely get around to finishing it.........

Unlike you however, I found the movie infinitely better than the book. What's the old showbiz phrase? You can't please all the people all the time........ ::)
Never said I didn't like the movie(s), just tickled to see how much license was taken with the source material and was quietly amused at the number of hard core Ludlum readers who probably were ticked off. I was happy it was different so that I wasn't reading a verbal storyboard of a movie I'd seen several times.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
LUW said:
I bet Doxa lost customers because of Cussler.
Actually the other way around. Doxa was a dead brand and it was revived in good part because of the interest generated by Doxa's books.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
i am hoping that it was a 6139 pogue he traded for. only because i have one :)

also, when i think about it. i only started reading cussler's books after looking at the doxa watches.
strangly enough i read him for the first time after picking up one of his books at schiphol airport.

·
Registered
666 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
If you ever want a top writer then go for Wilbur Smith, no Seiko's or other watches mentioned as a rule but top books ;)
Actually Wilbur Smith mentions watches quite a lot in his novels. Omega, Rolex, Cartier and Patek Phillipe are all worn by his characters and mentioned in his novels. In one of his novels the main character loses his Omega and replaces it with a "cheap" Japanese divers watch. He seems a little influenced by Ian Fleming as they both refer to japanese watches as "cheap". Smith references several characters in different novels as wearing gold Rolex's. I agree that he's a great read. ;)

Cheers

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts