The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Diagnosis: When adjusting the digi, crown to position 2, adjustment failure.
Wayne 18/10/13
21:23 I'm in
21:24 Crown stem a little bent but ok
21:25 I can see the brass looking hoop, what position should it be in? It's a little bent
21:32 I'm going in on the second for comparison. Wait this is 30yr old virgin stock, I'm reaching for the other one
22:17 LCD gone dead??
Jurgen 18/10/13
22:25 What happened?
22:27 The brass hoop makes contact on the print
22:29 Rotate crown left or right alternates the hoop and makes contact on the print to set time or date. You can see the two pins on the print? If lcd is dead then reopen it
Wayne
22:59 LCD alive, lost the analog now???
23:04 It's the second hand that's not moving?? It happened on the other h556 too? Was this because I had the movements on paper and not elevated?
23:06 I'm going back into the h556 to see if I can get the seconds had moving there.
23:41 No luck on h556?
Jurgen 19/10/13
01:56 If you don't have a cushion for movement repair then put the movement in a watch case when working on it. Cushion has a hole in the middle for the pinions were you put the hands on.
01:57 Did you put a crown in the movement after assembly?
Wayne 19/10/13
11:11 A crown went in after too in both movements. So not to sure what has happened. Batteries are new........
Calling all H558 Dr's to the operating theatre. H558 down, H556 down.
Diagnosis: digi working, crown adjustment working, ani failure

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Seiko Kid, I think this will be the answer, will PM again. Kind regards Wayne

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in the operation theatre

Hi All,
Well was up late last night 19/10/13 to about 12pm with Jurgen on the other end at 1am supporting.
Just was not happening again, no movement.
As Dutchsiberia has mentioned and Jurgen and Seikokid in support did also mention maybe it is the coil.
Seikokid, 7hr operation maybe to find the cause, meaning a send off in the postal medivac.
Jurgen and Dutchsiberia thinking a like get your hands on a multimeter, bought one and its on the way ready for mid week surgery again.
Today another day, and back to the operation theatre for another go, but just on the H556. Start time was 15:54.
Coil still looked good to go. 16:03
Horseshoe placement checked and looked good. 16:11
Microchip board also looking good. 16:15, print in the right place. Cuppa tea and some Yngwie Malsteen at 16:19
Side tracked till 19:45
Stripped down and waiting, so I then put it back together again, of course you do not know if the digi and or the ani is working until you flip it over.
B.I.N.G.O. was his nameo! all working again for the H556. See photos with the second hand going around. Nice one.
Tools used were basic, and my keen eyesight.
Don't ask me how, maybe the crown was not in properly, miss alignment on the horseshoe to the print? Just do not know.
One down one classic to go, but for another night, getting late, Patience is a virtue, stand by callers.
Regards Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
No, I never mentioned anything about it being an issue with the coil

My initial thought would be the hacking lever (train wheel setting lever), especially the hooked bar that fits into a groove on the main plate
If the hook has snapped off like what is shown in the picture then the setting lever won't switch properly causing havoc with the mode settings

ie, even when the crown is fully pushed in the analogue circuit will be still be disconnected

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you SeikoKid, sorry should have been a little clearer on your tips and Jurgen's.
I am back to square 1, H556 worked for a while them stopped.
Multimeter has been received so hope to test over the weekend.
Thank you for the tip on the hacking lever, I will investigate here too.
Kind regards
Wayne

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
These H55* series also suffer with corrosion to the tracks on the circuit board from battery leakage. this usually concentrated around the battery area. Some can be cleaned and salvaged , others need to have the tracks re soldered or even warrant a replacement circuit board

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you again SeikoKid again for all your help, its been overnight in the ward sleeping a bit, and will try again soon with some explanatory surgery. Kind regards Wayne

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts