The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Please find the latest update for my part manufacture of the Seiko H558 metal shroud.
Sorry it has been some time, perfection takes time. The 6Ps were followed.
After some CAD adjustments and my third 3D printed part of the shroud the final testing proved successful and have requested the first metal sample to be CNC.
Please see 3D printed part photos and attachment to the case. Fitting like a glove.
The sample will be in stainless steel 316L with a brushed finish not polished.
As after some separate DLC part samples were checked the DLC looked nicer on a brushed finish.
I feel a brushed finish will keep the aesthetics right to reflect the original matte looking finish on the original plastic shroud.
There is also now an option for the shroud to be made in Titanium in the final request for full manufacturing.
I thought it would be nice to offer both options. Some like the heavy feel of a watch on their wrist and other like it to be light.
Both the SS316L and the Ti will be coated with DLC.
So if you like what your are seeing and if not already on my "Yes" list to be one of the first to have a new metal shroud. Then please PM me and I will add you. It is a first limited print run.
Sorry I have not mentioned any costs. I require to know exactly how may people are saying "Yes" the more "Yes" then there will be more control on final cost back to the fans.
Kind regards
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Looks good to me. I do not have a H558 but would consider a new shroud if I did.

The guy who does my printing is playing with 3D printing, he is at early days just now, attending seminars and workshops but he see's it as "the future".

He showed me some items he had printed in 3D, I was impressed by their durability and the complexity attainable.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike,
Thank you.
3D printing I agree is moving in leaps and bounds. With the release of more and more home 3D printing machines available.
What has been really helpful to me is that 3D printing has provided a lower cost way for me to see my 1:1 reproduction of the shroud and how it fits on the watch case.
Therefore ensuring that the final CAD file is accurate before CNC is requested.
And this technology of 3D printing could be a whole new thread on its own "3D printing timepieces". Its that next level when 3D printing moves from liquid plastic to liquid metal.
Thanks again
Wayne

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
9 Posts
h558 316SS shroud

Sign me up! I have a 558 on the way, but it needs a shroud.

Hi All,
Please find the latest update for my part manufacture of the Seiko H558 metal shroud.
Sorry it has been some time, perfection takes time. The 6Ps were followed.
After some CAD adjustments and my third 3D printed part of the shroud the final testing proved successful and have requested the first metal sample to be CNC.
Please see 3D printed part photos and attachment to the case. Fitting like a glove.
The sample will be in stainless steel 316L with a brushed finish not polished.
As after some separate DLC part samples were checked the DLC looked nicer on a brushed finish.
I feel a brushed finish will keep the aesthetics right to reflect the original matte looking finish on the original plastic shroud.
There is also now an option for the shroud to be made in Titanium in the final request for full manufacturing.
I thought it would be nice to offer both options. Some like the heavy feel of a watch on their wrist and other like it to be light.
Both the SS316L and the Ti will be coated with DLC.
So if you like what your are seeing and if not already on my "Yes" list to be one of the first to have a new metal shroud. Then please PM me and I will add you. It is a first limited print run.
Sorry I have not mentioned any costs. I require to know exactly how may people are saying "Yes" the more "Yes" then there will be more control on final cost back to the fans.
Kind regards
Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts