The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all,

At the beginning of this week I have received my now one and only Seiko : a long awaited H558-5000 "Arnie". I got it from the bay in OK but not great condition.

Here are the seller's pictures :

After some weeks of waiting for delivery and Customs entertainment (god they are so funny), I finally have received it, controlled it and sent it to SeikoKid in the UK (tip: he is not really a kid!). He has a lot of experience with working on Arnies so I knew the result was going to be top notch.

What has been done :
- Bezel insert was changed with one from Harold (Yobokies)
- Crystal was changed
- Circuit was inspected, a problem that caused the LCD to go blank when pulling the crown was found. Solved with some Seiko Quartz engineering by SeikoKid.
- The "Diver's 150M" dial has been swapped with a "Water 150M Resist".
- Dial, hands and bezel insert pip have been relumed (Pro job!)
- I swapped the Z22 bracelet with an Isofrane I also got from ebay. Even cheaper than on the original website, it's pretty expensive but I had always wanted to try one.

As always, I have not been disappointed... please find below my own pictures of the beast.

A lot has already been said about this model. You either find it weird or you find it awesome... Well let me tell you I wasn't impressed with the H558 before I tried one in real life : Instantly I was hooked and I knew I needed to get it. I have a small wrist but the case sits well and is not too thick. It's not a "big watch" as they are making today.

Furthermore everybody around me seems to like it and that includes my ex fiancé who has never liked a lot of things I got :p

The Isofrane is really comfy and though, I think it will last for quite some years. The fact that it's natural rubber makes IMHO a huge difference with the standard silicon one. I also like the look of it much better.

Thank you all for reading, and enjoy your week-end.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Great watch,fantastic job done.

Looks like new right now :bravo_2:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Nice restoration ;)

Just wanted to know why the dial was swapped? I didn't know that these arnies had 'divers 150m' and a 'water150mresist' differences on the their dials.

John

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Nice restoration ;)

Just wanted to know why the dial was swapped? I didn't know that these arnies had 'divers 150m' and a 'water150mresist' differences on the their dials.

John
+1 any further information regarding the different dials would be great. Great restoration! Enjoy your summer Seiko!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice restoration ;)

John
+1 any further information regarding the different dials would be great. Great restoration! Enjoy your summer Seiko!
Well thank you !

The dial was changed because it was a little scratched, and SeikoKid had the other one in stock. I like the Water 150M Resist a little more, so it's 100% win win for me :)
The Arnie now looks "as new" also because of the relume, the job is pretty perfect.

I've started this thread, about the different dial types :
I'll update it tomorrow with the latest informations people wrote.
http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/107266-seiko-h558-arnie-different-dials.html

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Clement. Interesting read.
Thank you, hope I'll get some nice arnie dial pictures.

Only problem now : I want them all... The golden Arnie, the Orange, the H601... :undecided:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turned out really nice Clement, Rob did you proud :)
I thanked him profusely, he really did a nice job... I never see you with an Arnie on the wrist John, it's not your kind of diver ? Don't tell me it's because of the shroud ! :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks just great. Huge improvement, specially with the change of hands!
Thank you Russ, the hands have been relumed only, those are of the same set (-:
It makes a huge difference indeed. At first you tell yourself : I don t really need reluming, but then you think of the daytime improvement also...

Cheers

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Thank you Russ, the hands have been relumed only, those are of the same set (-:
It makes a huge difference indeed. At first you tell yourself : I don t really need reluming, but then you think of the daytime improvement also...

Cheers
Oops my mistake! Obviously I don't know this model all that well. I seem to recall what I thought were really puny hands on those Arnies which was one of the main reasons I didn't care for them in the first place. So are those the original hands?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oops my mistake! Obviously I don't know this model all that well. I seem to recall what I thought were really puny hands on those Arnies which was one of the main reasons I didn't care for them in the first place. So are those the original hands?
Indeed they are the original ones, looking poor before cleaning and reluming.

Best

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hum that's an excellent question, seems like mine are a more classic "seiko diver" shape.

I'll ask SeikoKid if he did noticed some differences with his models.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts