The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there,

I've been quiet lately as I'm awaiting the arrival of a great Arnie diver. Looking at the slight differences in the H558-500x family, I've noticed the writings at the bottom of the dial; it seems there are texts and color changes.

I was wondering if anyone knows how many variations exists and if they were linked to a particular production date, different markets / product versions.
I've been looking at all the threads of the forum on the subject but I did not find the definitive answer. The only info I got was that the "water 150m resist" was designed for the JDM, which means for the H558-5009 model. Some color variations seems to be due to discoloration and aging.

This is what I found (google image or personal files captures) :
Divers 150m was found in white, grey/yellow, red. Is the Yellow version genuine or from aging and discoloration ?

Water 150m resist exist in red and seems to turn grey with age.

The Japanese catalog seems to display the "Water 150 resist" in red.

The french advert seems to be showing the red "Diver's 150m" version but I can't be 100% sure.

Update : the Orange Arnie.
Seems to also come in Water 150M Resist and Diver's 150m but with no color variations.
I have never seen one before, so I can't help a lot but here is what I found on the web.

Diver's 150 M in blue

Water 150M Resist in Grey / Black or is it Blue / Black ?

Would be nice to find an aging and a "NOS" dial to see discoloration.

Thanks for your inputs :)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I wouldn't take too much notice of the finer detail in Seiko catalogues - they are drawings rather than pictures and also notoriously inaccurate!.
I'm sure I read about the aging paint on the forum sometime ago? ...maybe it was the 6309

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't take too much notice of the finer detail in Seiko catalogues - they are drawings rather than pictures and also notoriously inaccurate!.
I'm sure I read about the aging paint on the forum sometime ago? ...maybe it was the 6309
Didn't know about the drawings, thanks ! It makes a lot of sense as at the time they didn't have much tools as we have today to produce nice printable presentations.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If it helps to start to figure this out, I have a-500A (Orange dial) with 'Divers 150m' in blue text. S/N is 8700xx.

I also have a -5009 (Black Arnie) with 'Divers 150m' in Yellow/orangy. S/N is 7401xx

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
Most watches have multiple dials with minor wording, font and/or color differences, from one dial run to the next, over time, etc.

Can be fun to study but usually does not affect values much. Once exception might be "COMEX" on a Rolex Deapsea or the like.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've added some Orange Arnie dials screenshots.
Also, I've corrected the post on the yellow color as it may not be discoloration from the red.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
These are the three JDM versions all with water150mresist text.

The first one on the left has an red text that has faded to orange.
The middle one has gold text with gold hands and bezel insert (Golden Arnie)
The last one has blue text, orange dial, gold hands and a gold bezel insert.

Hope you like your when it arrives.

·
Registered
240 Posts
H558-5000 Water Resist vs Divers

Hi All,
Hope all well.

Please find attached some photos of the H558-5000 dials that I own.

There seems also to be a give away in the very small text at the bottom of the dial.

Water Resist 150m - 500LT

Divers 150m - 501LT

Kind regards
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent informations Barry, thanks a lot :)
I'll update the post with your data.

Just got mine this morning and yes, it's looking real good !
I'll take photos tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts