The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have my late father's Seiko GFA 3883 watch which has stopped working and I am wondering what the value of the watch is as spares or repairs. The watch is intact and in good condition.

The watch was bought new in 1975 from Carr's Jewellers, Blackburn here in the UK and was worn pretty much all the time till the early 90's when it was put in a drawer with the battery removed after my father died.

I am wondering if it's worth paying for the watch to be serviced as I will not be wearing it myself and my father's other watch, a Rolex Oyster is of more sentimental value to me as this was his preferred time-piece.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Geday,

The GFA series were one of SEIKO's top shelf pieces. They would have been one of the most expensive pieces available at the time. They are a rather uncommon piece.

They are definitely worth servicing, the actual value of them is quite high, beyond the sentimental value.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thank you for your reply. I have found a jeweller who is prepared to "appraise" the watch to see if it can be repaired and then forward the watch on to Seiko for any repairs needed.

I have only just (today!) realised how much these watches are worth and was a little shocked TBH. My mother bought the watch as a wedding anniversary present for my father but he much preferred his Rolex for everyday use. The GFA was bequeathed to me and I hardly wore it due to the fact it was too good for everyday use. It is a beautiful watch to be sure...

I think I will get the watch serviced/repaired and decide if I want to sell it on in the future. Once again thank you for your message.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Be very careful in choosing the right "jeweler". You might want to search around a little here, enabling to find you someone who can actual repair/service your watch. If it runs at the moment you probably only need to have it cleaned and properly oiled. New gaskets if they can be found.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your message and advice. Indeed, one of my major worries concerning this watch was finding a suitable (SEIKO Authorised and/or trained) repair outlet here in the UK.

The watch was originally bought from my father's cousin's business in Blackburn, Carrs The Jeweller. At the time they were authorised SEIKO agents and the watch was an expensive purchase at the time at over £300 in 1975. You could have bought a reasonable second hand car for that money!

Is there anyone on here who could point me in the right direction in sourcing a good repair outlet here in the UK?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts