The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone can advise me on the best battery for a Seiko Electronic EL-370 from 1972? Also, how waterproof would that watch be- enough to swim with? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,226 Posts
Hi gamboge,
My search shows the caliber 37xx takes a 303 cell, is this the caliber you have inside? Be careful when replacing the cell that you do not touch the large copper coil with anything as damaging it will cause the watch to not run, as with any quartz watch.

Even if you replaced all gaskets and the crystal (recommended on any vintage watch that is worn frequently), the watch would still not be suitable for anything above brief and accidental exposure to moisture (such as washing one's hands or getting caught in a rain shower). I would not recommend swimming with any vintage watch, regardless of how water "proof" it was originally touted- it does not make sense to risk ruining hard-to-replace components inside if there was a failure in the water resistance, which can happen for a variety of reasons, either from accidental abusive treatment or from exposing the watch to treatment it was not built to withstand, or can no longer withstand due to age and wear.

I like the early electronic watches, I'd love to see pictures of the watch!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Noah- good to hear from you. I bought a Sumo bracelet from you a year or so ago.

The watch in question is a 3703-7041 from November 1972 with a slim cushion case, concealed stem at 4:00, and a fantastic blue dial. It also has a 19mm metal bracelet stamped Z030 which is the most comfortable metal bracelet I've ever worn. The watch weighs about 82 grams, which after wearing Seiko divers exclusively for the past few years seems ridiculously light. I'm sorry I can't post pics- my computer crashed a few months ago and now I can't make email attachments. I'll see if I can use another computer and post one. Lovely watch and an interesting bit of history. In 1972 when this watch was made I was up to my neck in snow in upstate New York studying. I bought myself a good watch- an Accutron because that was the new technology. The battery leaked in it a few years later and I chucked it. So it goes.

Hope you are well and kind regards.

·
Registered
234 Posts
While the Electronics don't seem to be real popular here, (or anywhere) I love 'em and have 6 or 7 of them now.

And agree with rileynp.... definitely not for swimming.

They definitely do a fantastic blue:

·
Super Moderator
3,226 Posts
gamboge said:

Hi Noah- good to hear from you. I bought a Sumo bracelet from you a year or so ago.
Oops, different Noah- that is Noah Fuller that most likely supplied you with that bracelet, I can't take credit ;)

gamboge said:

The watch in question is a 3703-7041 from November 1972 with a slim cushion case, concealed stem at 4:00, and a fantastic blue dial. It also has a 19mm metal bracelet stamped Z030 which is the most comfortable metal bracelet I've ever worn. The watch weighs about 82 grams, which after wearing Seiko divers exclusively for the past few years seems ridiculously light. I'm sorry I can't post pics- my computer crashed a few months ago and now I can't make email attachments. I'll see if I can use another computer and post one. Lovely watch and an interesting bit of history. In 1972 when this watch was made I was up to my neck in snow in upstate New York studying. I bought myself a good watch- an Accutron because that was the new technology. The battery leaked in it a few years later and I chucked it. So it goes.
While there may not be much different in outer appearances, the movement is definitely an anachronism compared to today's offerings (as is the tuning fork Accutron movement). I've only got one Seiko-made balance electronic currently- but it is branded Westclox. It seems like they sold quite a few to other companies such as Sears and Westclox- I guess they wanted to get their money's worth from the initial costs. Here it is:
[/font]
[font=verdana][img][/font]
[font=verdana][img][/font]
[font=verdana]The last photo shows that the dial stamping was done in December of 1971- frequently up through the later 70's/early 80's the dials were stamped with a date code following the pattern of the case serial numbers (I don't know what the second line signifies, it normally isn't present on Seiko dials).[/font]

[font=verdana]It's neat to hear you've taken such a liking to yours- enjoy it![/font]

·
Special Member
1,097 Posts
Hi Gamboge, here's my one and only.I bought it for little lunch money about a year ago. The dial is really spectacular and my photo doesn't do it justice. Might need a crystal though,what do you reckon? Mine is not working so if any has a tip or two to help me crank it up. Does it have to be the exact battery to suit the model?

·
Super Moderator
3,226 Posts
garfre said:
The Electronic Watch Site gives 301 as the battery for the 3703 movement (see the movement gallery).

http://www.electric-watches.co.uk/

Hi Garfre,
Admittedly I don't have any 3703's in front of me to verify, but both Borel and an older battery reference guide (not published by Seiko) state the 303 instead of the 301. They both have the same diameter, but the 303 is 1.2mm taller. One would have to check how the battery fits inside the case to see which is best. If I can come up with any thing more conclusive, I'll post it.

Update: I found the 3703 tech guide, it calls for a cell that is 11.60mm x 5.6mm. So it looks like the Electronic Watch Site is in error. The 301 will still work most likely, but using it would result in shorter cell life (smaller cell equals less capacity), and possibly have problems with conductivity if there is too much room for it in the case- some times the cell contact spring provides enough friction to keep it in place, but it is safest to go with the manufacturer's recommended cell size. I'm not familiar with the EL-370's in person, so I can't comment on their usual casing structure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everybody for all the information. And apologies to Noah Riley- I was indeed thinking of Noah Fuller. I checked my battery box and found I had a card of el cheapo button batteries which included AG13/357 alkaline batteries. I put one of these in and nothing happened- then I gave the watch a shake and it sprang to life. Its been keeping reasonable time for a day now, but I don't trust these batteries as they are incredibly cheap, so when I get to the shop I'll invest in a name brand 303 if I can find one. For a couple bucks it will give me some piece of mind. It is a lovely looking watch and winter is coming here in Australia so maybe I don't need to wear my beloved divers since the water is definitely getting a bit on the cool side for swimming- so water resistance isn't such an issue. Cheers....

·
Registered
70 Posts
yorkiesknob said:

[/quote]

[i]Ouch [/i], that wouldn't owe the original owner anything .

Spectacular dial tho and would be worth repairing if possible ??
I have the blue version and love the way the colour changes with different light .
These electronic watches have fascinated me for some time and I couldn't resist this one .
Now I've got two Elnix models incoming .
Mine definitely doesn't go anywhere near water .

[b]3303-8120E[/b]
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

best regards Scott.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! What a beauty. Seiko used to be really out there with some of the colours on the dials. I have a blue Sumo which is my daily and now the blue dial EL-370 which is guess will be my dress watch. Then the question is, what do I do with the other couple dozen watches I've got? Maybe its time for a rationalization.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts