The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of posts on this forum (and others) of people putting a 7548 quartz movement in a 6309 case to make a "quartz hybrid" diver, but only one mention of someone doing the same with a 7002 case. I'm not sure what the disparity in preference between the two cases is, so my question: Is this a more popular swap with a 6309 than a 7002 because of parts availability? Internal case sizing? The cache of a 6309? Something else?

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
I believe its because the 6309 stem will fit into a 7546/8 quartz movement where as the stem on a 7002 wont.
So 6309 mod would be the easier way to go.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe its because the 6309 stem will fit into a 7546/8 quartz movement where as the stem on a 7002 wont.
So 6309 mod would be the easier way to go.

Thanks for the reply - that makes sense.

Is it possible to swap the 7002 crown onto a different stem and make it work with that case?

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
A lot of the later diver's watches have an integrated stem and crown, so can't be separated.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Thanks for the reply - that makes sense.

Is it possible to swap the 7002 crown onto a different stem and make it work with that case?
In theory yes
Some aftermarket 7002 stems are threaded into the crown where as the originals are one piece stem and crown. You could possibly use a stem from a dress 6309 which has a threaded stem, unscrew the crown and fit a stem extender and then cut down the aftermarket 7002 stem and crown to fit into the extender.

Ive not tried it so no idea if it will actually work, but was toying with the idea of fitting a 6309 to a 7002 case and thats one idea i had to get round the crown and stem problem.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's very helpful to know - thanks! Doesn't sound like quite the easy project I'd expected...

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Nice mod.

Fitting a 7s26 into a 7002 case means you can only use a dateless dial, as per your mod, unless you can find a 7s with a 4 o'clock crown.
Is there one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice mod.

Fitting a 7s26 into a 7002 case means you can only use a dateless dial, as per your mod, unless you can find a 7s with a 4 o'clock crown.
Is there one?
Personal preference really I tolerate date windows and detest day windows on watches so crown position was not really an issue on this mod
Interestingly though the 7S26 cases for various models on Ebay have a crowns at 3 and 4 and day date windows!

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Nice mod.

Is there one?
Yes, but few and far between - the spork 4r15 , and some of the 7s2x S-waves. There also seem to be some very new model 4r3x's.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Personal preference really I tolerate date windows and detest day windows on watches so crown position was not really an issue on this mod
Interestingly though the 7S26 cases for various models on Ebay have a crowns at 3 and 4 and day date windows!
Be careful you note the difference between true 4 o'clock and 3:18 !!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have also seen watch dials from Dagaz and Yobokies (mostly FFF dials) that have a date window at what looks about 4:23 or 4:24. Are these date windows not centered between the hour markers because the movements all use the same date wheel, which has just been rotated based upon the crown position?

Be careful you note the difference between true 4 o'clock and 3:18 !!

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
I have also seen watch dials from Dagaz and Yobokies (mostly FFF dials) that have a date window at what looks about 4:23 or 4:24. Are these date windows not centered between the hour markers because the movements all use the same date wheel, which has just been rotated based upon the crown position?
The day/date wheels are different on the 4.00 crown position movement to the 3.18 crown position movement. That applies to the 70xx series and i would imagine the 7s2x series.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The day/date wheels are different on the 4.00 crown position movement to the 3.18 crown position movement. That applies to the 70xx series and i would imagine the 7s2x series.
Ah, okay. I have a 7546 quartz with a 3 o'clock crown and was hoping to put it in a 7002 (showing date only). I can't find a dial with a date window bang-on at 4 o'clock, so was hoping that maybe the dials with windows at 3.18 or 4.23 would work (as I've read elsewhere that one can't use a dial with 3 o'clock date if I am rotating the movement's crown position from 3 to 4).

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Ah, okay. I have a 7546 quartz with a 3 o'clock crown and was hoping to put it in a 7002 (showing date only). I can't find a dial with a date window bang-on at 4 o'clock, so was hoping that maybe the dials with windows at 3.18 or 4.23 would work (as I've read elsewhere that one can't use a dial with 3 o'clock date if I am rotating the movement's crown position from 3 to 4).
Try putting the 7546 movement with dial into the case, rotate the movement so the stem will insert into the movement and see if the date will align with the window of dial you intend to use, if it doesn't, you will have to find a date wheel for a 7546 that is for a 4.00 crown. If the date does align with the window, will the 12 indice align perfectly with the case top center?

What dial are you intending to use?

Its not where the window is positioned on the dial that matters, its where the numbers are positioned on the date wheel that counts. If you use a non date dial then theres no problem.

Hope that makes sense

1 - 18 of 18 Posts