The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it's power reserve only 1 month whereas cheaper Kinetic watches, like the one I own, have a power reserve of 6 months ?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
peter912 said:
Why is it's power reserve only 1 month whereas cheaper Kinetic watches, like the one I own, have a power reserve of 6 months ?
There are a couple of possibilities.
One is that Seiko has returned to the capacitor technology and dumped the Lithium batteries.
Two would be that Seiko has built in to the watch a system that prevents the watch from discharging the battery low enough to cause it damage, which the 6 month batteries suffered a lot when people don't wear them enough to keep them charged.
A third one might be that it would take 6 months to hand wind the older batteries up to a full charge ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
It definitely has to do with the handwinding.
I like the direct drives, but it takes quiet a bit of winding to get 1 month of reserve.

·
Registered
503 Posts
One item not mentioned here is the PR indicator on the direct drive watches. It can be quite active at times and the power involved in running that part of the watch could be a factor in the reduced charge on these watches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts