The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Special Member
7,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several Coffin Link bracelets over the years. I like to add them to World Timers and such where they were original to the watch and I also think they can look great on other vintage Seikos that need a special flair for the bracelet. Right now I plan to add one to a large dial 7005-2000 currently in rebuild.

I recently got the top one in the pic below and it is a little different to what I am used to seeing and owning. I hope to gain some clarification as to what other forum members think of when they think of "Coffin Link bracelet." Is it fixed in stone or a variety with many shapes and sizes??\

After research I am thinking the top one in the pic below is best called a "Mini-Coffin Link" and the bottom one is probably a true "Coffin Link". Maybe I have it wrong the top is a true coffin link and the bottom is something else?

Over on fleabay it seems "Coffin Link Watch Bracelet" can turn up a dozen more variations on the theme, including mis-named Beads of Rice and other mistakes.

Anybody else have an opinion on what constitutes a "Coffin Link" bracelet? Click on pic and it gets much larger.

Attachments

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
My opinion is that the coffin link needs to be asymmetrical with a longer side to the link as shown on the second example.

On the first example the links seem to be symmetrical so are more diamond not coffin shaped. This does remind me more of a snake skin than a coffin :)

I think that there is a few variations on shapes and sizes but I would always assume that the coffin links are asymmetrical.

The bottom example also seems to have expandable end pieces so I assume that this is not an original Seiko bracelet.

·
Special Member
7,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A. On the first example the links seem to be symmetrical so are more diamond not coffin shaped. This does remind me more of a snake skin than a coffin :)

B. The bottom example also seems to have expandable end pieces so I assume that this is not an original Seiko bracelet.
A. I agree, like that snake skin description a lot. Thanks.

B. Actually the bracelet is true Seiko and the end links were the best we could do are aftermarket. I am always scouring the parts houses and our favorite auction site for the OEM Seiko end links.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A. I agree, like that snake skin description a lot. Thanks.

B. Actually the bracelet is true Seiko and the end links were the best we could do are aftermarket. I am always scouring the parts houses and our favorite auction site for the OEM Seiko end links.
My World Time has that top bracelet. I always called it fish scales, but snake skin sounds more manly.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The one think about Seiko bracelets that I'm confused about is the bracelet always listed as the "bead of rice" style. What is confusing to me is I have never seen a bead of rice. I have eaten a lot of grains of rice but never a bead of rice. Should not this type of bracelet be called the "grain of rice" type? I have several and I love them because they are extremely comfortable and they also do not pull the hair out of your arms like most of the other SS bracelet do! The mis labeling of just about everything Seiko on eBay is now pretty much the norm.
In my opinion the second bracelet looks like a coffin link name fits good. The first bracelet has no features at all that the type coffin link should be used ever.

Michael

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well that top one looks like what i have seen on world timers...if you decide to get rid of either one...let me know...God Bless John

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
I've seen the first one called "diamondback" but it's not that great of a name.
I tend to disagree as I'm the one that coined that name..........:035:

It is both the shape of a diamond and a scale on a snake skin as in diamond back rattler.........

Coffin link

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well whatever it is called the top one is very nice...

·
Registered
302 Posts
"Diamondback"! That's the name I was looking for yesterday.

That's a great looking example of it too.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
those bands are so elegant....love it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts