The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for advice on reattaching a hand that fell off one of the small dials on my Seiko chronograph. This dial simply fell off one day and was bouncing around inside the case.

I have opened the watch, and have verified with a microscope that the pin on which the hand should set is still spinning. However, no matter how steady my hand, I simply cannot get the hand back on. I've been using tweezers to grip the hand and put it in location before pushing down.

See the attached photo -- notice the missing hand on the face, and the hand itself loosely sitting in the middle of the crystal.

Is there a trick to reattaching this?, a special tool?, or do I just need to take it to a watch surgeon?

One other possibility is that the hand itself is somehow broken. If so, how can I identify the part needed and where can I look to buy it? I see websites selling hour, minute and second hands -- but not tiny chronograph hands.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Craftsman
3,723 Posts
Install a small piece of tape on the underside of the hand to help you hold it and move it in position. Use your microscope to view the pinion while positioning the hole in the hand over the pinion. Once in position lightly press the hand on the pinion. Remove the watch from under the microscope and then fully press the hand in place.

Recheck under the microscope to verify the hand has clearance and is not touching the dial.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have found a wealth of knowledge available to you through research and a forum of great, helpful and knowledgeable people who are passionate about Seiko, Citizen and their many models and related brands. Post often and share pictures of your collection, it's a heck of a lot of fun and not just when they're broken. Everyone loves a good wrist shot !

It looks to me like you have multiple problems here. The main problem being the dial itself. You can put the subdial hand back on but who knows how long it would be before your dial was knocking around loose inside the case again ? Perhaps one of the dial feet broke off, allowing the dial to move inside the case and basically pulling the subdial hand off in the process. There are very competent repair people in this forum who are able to handle your job in their sleep and sourcing the necessary parts, (whatever they may be) is simple as well. Depending on the age and general condition, (you may or may not know the watches service history for instance if you bought it pre-owned), while its opened you may consider a general service and seals ? Food for thought and things to consider.
One such repairman that is highly respected here who has done work for me on a number of projects goes by SeikoPsycho2. Send him, (Tom) a PM for more info. Other members may suggest many other great people and options here. Again, welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around after your repair issues are taken care of !

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Haha that's great, Tom. You snuck in while I was writing, I guess you saved him a step !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SeikoPsycho2, I am a firm believer in the saying "there is genius in simplicity". Your tape solution worked and I was able to re-attach the hand. Thank you very much!

Chronomaster, thanks for your reply too. I am the original owner of this watch and I have never had it serviced, so very good point about having it generally serviced. I am interested in learning how to do that myself, actually, so I will start by poking around the forum more for tips about how to do that. :)

·
Craftsman
3,723 Posts
Thanks for the plug Jim!

And you're welcome cwmccabe! Glad you were able re-attach your hand!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts