The Watch Site banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Craftsman
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed the restoration of a 'Bullhead' 6138-0040 from April '76.

This was one of those projects which at first glance seemed like it was going to be easy, but after the initial appraisal felt like it might be somewhat arduous and potentially a borderline case to turn down.

Here it is on the left, as received



well, that's not entirely accurate - it came on an AM fishbone bracelet which with 20mm ends was a VERY tight fit into the 19mm lugs. That coupled with the use of 20mm springs bars with no shoulders meant that after some time trying to get a purchase on the spring part (impossible) I had to resort to drilling the spring bar out. Not a great start.

First things to note were an incorrect and very badly worn crown and an incorrect acrylic crystal



the case itself looked ok'ish, albeit a bit over polished.

Removing the caseback revealed extensive rust and rust damage to the caseback closing surface (there was also significant rust under the bezel)



and a missing movement case spring. But, there was worse to come .......



the chrono bridge and the autowind framework have both been abused - I assume to remove surface rust.

Removing the movement from the case revealed missing pusher gaskets and a rather lack lustre dial and hands



that said, these are all original and did show some potential.

There was plenty to do here





Prior to stripping the movement down I took a baseline timegrapher reading and was surprised to see a reasonable trace



the movement stripdown revealed a few issues

1 - swimming with oil





2 - rust damage to the barrel bridge (around the reset lever and stud) and elsewhere



3 - a chipped jewel in the chrono bridge



4 - rust in various places, including the diashock setting in the mainplate



but, the movement cleaned up nicely (with some elbow grease / cleaning many of the parts by hand).



and with some replacement parts (barrel bridge, chrono bridge, autowind framework, new crown and stem and a few screws) it came together nicely





and has a super stable timegrapher trace (I'm on a roll lately!!)



it was then time to fit the relumed dial and painted/relumed hands



and then re-case it, with a new Sternkreuz crystal, NOS crown and a new stem



(the original was about 1.5mm too short).



it turned out a lot better than I thought it was going to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I have just completed the restoration of a 'Bullhead' 6138-0040 from April '76.

This was one of those projects which at first glance seemed like it was going to be easy, but after the initial appraisal felt like it might be somewhat arduous and potentially a borderline case to turn down.

Here it is on the left, as received



well, that's not entirely accurate - it came on an AM fishbone bracelet which with 20mm ends was a VERY tight fit into the 19mm lugs. That coupled with the use of 20mm springs bars with no shoulders meant that after some time trying to get a purchase on the spring part (impossible) I had to resort to drilling the spring bar out. Not a great start.

First things to note were an incorrect and very badly worn crown and an incorrect acrylic crystal



the case itself looked ok'ish, albeit a bit over polished.

Removing the caseback revealed extensive rust and rust damage to the caseback closing surface (there was also significant rust under the bezel)



and a missing movement case spring. But, there was worse to come .......



the chrono bridge and the autowind framework have both been abused - I assume to remove surface rust.

Removing the movement from the case revealed missing pusher gaskets and a rather lack lustre dial and hands



that said, these are all original and did show some potential.

There was plenty to do here





Prior to stripping the movement down I took a baseline timegrapher reading and was surprised to see a reasonable trace



the movement stripdown revealed a few issues

1 - swimming with oil





2 - rust damage to the barrel bridge (around the reset lever and stud) and elsewhere



3 - a chipped jewel in the chrono bridge



4 - rust in various places, including the diashock setting in the mainplate



but, the movement cleaned up nicely (with some elbow grease / cleaning many of the parts by hand).



and with some replacement parts (barrel bridge, chrono bridge, autowind framework, new crown and stem and a few screws) it came together nicely





and has a super stable timegrapher trace (I'm on a roll lately!!)



it was then time to fit the relumed dial and painted/relumed hands



and then re-case it, with a new Sternkreuz crystal, NOS crown and a new stem



(the original was about 1.5mm too short).



it turned out a lot better than I thought it was going to.
Very nice.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
What an amazing job!!! I am just getting into watches and lately have had the itch to try taking some old ones apart and trying to put them back together so I can start missing and rebuilding/ refurbishing watches for fun...After seeing that photo of the movement taken apart in a million tiny pieces, I think I’m gonna stick with just collecting and wearing watches lol
 

·
Special Member
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
Superb work sir. The black bullhead that you did for me will be soon highlighted in my daily Super Special Speedtimer Spring Spree posts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top