The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[size=1em]Here are a couple of quick and dirty pics of a new mod that been in the works now for almost 6 months, and was finished a couple of days ago. The watch started life out as a Seiko SKX007. To that the dial and hands were replaced with a Yobokies Sinn style dial with no day or date (I wanted the 0300 marker). Harold provided a set of B&R style flieger hands and I requested a little airplane second hand since it was mostly black. The original chapter ring was replaced with one of Harold's aluminum inserts, and the insert was replaced by one of Harold's SS inserts. The strap was replaced by a Super Oyster. The case, chapter ring, bezel, bezel insert and crown where all blasted, coated in flat black ceramic and baked by Mike Martin. The bracelet received the same treatment, but I was advised that due to the difficulty of coating this bracelet, this would be the only time he would offer to coat one for somebody (Thanks Mike). Lew brown was kind enough to assemble the whole thing and fill in the bezel insert numbers in white. Sadly the white markers didn't work right, so we removed them and went for the all black look.

Without further ado, Let me introduce you to the BLACKOUT!

Overall I like the end product, though it hasn't given me that gut response that some of the other mods I've worked on have. I'll keep ot around for a bit to see if it grows on me.

Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
lanti24 said:
Love this blackout!!

How much does it cost to do this complete ceramic coating?
I believe the coating was done by samanator on WUS. You can find him under that name.

I believe Jay at Motor city watch works can also do ceramic coating. His web site may have some prices.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jake said:
Looks sorta OK..but it's missing something. Looks kinda sticky like tar
Do you mean like this one? :-[

To each his own I guess. The design was intentionally minimalistic, so for me it is not missing anything. As for the coating, it's not sticky at all. In fact the exact opposite, it is extremely dry, almost parched. Surely not all your own mods and products have been to everyone's liking. Thankfully, its a hobby not a competition, and most do it for our own enjoyment .

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Guess so...I'm guessing Noah made that one for someone? Know who owns it now?

Isthmus said:
Do you mean like this one? :-[

To each his own I guess. The design was intentionally minimalistic, so for me it is not missing anything. As for the coating, it's not sticky at all. In fact the exact opposite, it is extremely dry, almost parched. Surely not all your own mods and products have been to everyone's liking. Thankfully, its a hobby not a competition, and most do it for our own enjoyment .

·
Registered
277 Posts
This watch is absolutely stunning and it's almost exactly what I've been looking for in a black watch. Had I been modding it myself, I would have gone for a slightly different face design, but everything else about it is spot-on.

I've just purchased (and am waiting for it to arrive!) a Seiko black kinetic divers, but it's still not the textured matte black of this one, it's more a smooth shiny black finish, and while I've looked high and low for a watch that looks like this.

The closest I found to an affordable, stealthy matte-black watch was a black titanium Bertucci (http://www.bertucciwatches.com/) one of their Vintage A2T cases, but it's nothing like the minimalism of this piece. The Bertucci, by the way, seems to be an incredible watch for the price. Accuracy is around +1/2 sec/day, it's got solid bars so works really well with something like a zulu strap and being titanium it's so light you hardly know it's there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice idea, and nicely done. Has a definite B&R feel, without looking like a pretender. The powdered black looks great. I'm a fan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
nice mod.

I have a question regarding the hands.

These hands have a white 'edge' around them. I was in a shop looking at some sinn watches, they didn't appear to have this edge. Is it possible to get hands like yours but without the edges like those on the sinn models?

Also, the case was stainless, so had a chrome oxide layer on it. Does your pvd transform the oxide to carbide? so the coating is a chrome carbide? does this coating chip etc?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jumpslashtechnique said:
These hands have a white 'edge' around them. I was in a shop looking at some sinn watches, they didn't appear to have this edge. Is it possible to get hands like yours but without the edges like those on the sinn models?

Also, the case was stainless, so had a chrome oxide layer on it. Does your pvd transform the oxide to carbide? so the coating is a chrome carbide? does this coating chip etc?
I'm not sure which specific Sinn hands you are referring to, but if they are the ones I'm thinking about, they are solid, while these have an interior lume insert. speak to yobokies, he used to carry the ones I'm thinking off. As for the coating, My watch is coated in ceramic, which is not an oxide type of coating. One thing worth knowing though is that ALL coatings are susceptible to chipping and scratching. some are only less so than others.

Jakes watch, the other black watch in this post, might be different though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts