·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/t][/t]
[hr]
What is a Seiko BFK? (to borrow a nick introduced by Stratman
The new Kinetic diver !

But what is BFK? It is Big Freaking Kinetic! Why? well... it is BIG! And it is a Kinetic! Lets see how it measures up against other Seikos (especially against Kinetics)
Have not measure it yet but it is definitely at least as wide (with crown)as the 1000M tuna. Of course the tuna is a few mm thicker than the BFK.

Lets see how it stands up against other Kinetic divers
Lets bring out the Kinetics
[img]

From left to right - 1) SKJ031(?), the BFK, SKJ 275, SKA 051.

First, SKJ vs BFK
[img]
[img]
Even though the lugs of the SKJ is quite long for its case, no way is it as long as the BFK. Furthermore the sheer width of the BFK dwarfs the SKJ from all angles. The BFK is much thicker too.

Next, SKJ275 (aka Pipin kinetic) vs BFK
[img]
The Pipin has a very good width due to the stylistic fins. At its widest point, the Pipin is actually as wide as the BFK. But the chunkiness of the BFK is definitely a winner.

Last, SKA051 vs BFK
[img]
Again the width and thickness of the BFK is head and shoulders above this Kinetic.

Here are some comparison wrist shots with the SKJ. You can see the comparative thickness of the 2 kinetics.
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]

So how does it compare with the big guns? Brought out the MM to compare as well...
[img]
[img]
As you can see, the MM is actually smaller width wise compare to the BFK. But the sheer presence of the thickness of the MM and design of the MM makes it a winner over the BFK.

One thing i noted is that the bezel's serrated edge of the BFK is similar to the MM's. Just that BFK's bezel appears to be on steroids [img]http://www.network54.com/images/happy.gif
Actually the bezel is very similar to the Orient 300M diver. (see ttsugar's excellent pics in the TF at the moment)

So what is my impression of the BFK so far?[img]
Great solid case. The long lugs actually works quite well, especially with the curved profile - makes it very comfy to wear.
[img]
[img]
[img]

I also like the case extension beyond the bezel ala Orient 300M diver . So it can accept straight end links. The chunky endlinks is also a big plus point. The solid bracelet is also just amazing [img]http://www.network54.com/images/happy.gif

Minus points - the condomish hands but luckily the hands are matt silver and when the short ends on the minute hands overlap the hour hands, they actually look quite cool. Another minus point - the crown is too slippery and not knurled enough for a good grip.
[img]

Last glamour shot of the BFK [img]http://www.network54.com/images/happy.gif

The BFK is so chunky, you cannot even sink metal teeth into it LOL!

Thanks for reading.

[/font][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Great review! It's no secret that the BFK is a favourite of mine. A really good dive watch, and because of the stigma around Kinetic these are some of the best dive watch bargains around.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
3o2x8a387 said:
Just wondering, with these Kinetic watches. Would the second hand move like a quartz watch or like and automatic?
Kinetcs are quartz watches. The hands move from second to second just like on a standard quartz watch. The kinetic part of the equation is just the mechanical charging mechanism (a microgenerator driven by a weighed rotor) for the rechargeable battery that in turn, drives a standard quartz movement. The same applies to Citizen's eco-drive (which is a solar powered movement). In those cases solar panels built into the dial charge a rechargeable battery, which in turn drives the movement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not meaning any disrespect but the only part of this watch that is big from what I can gather is the thickness. Am I missing something? To me a big diver means large diameter and from what I'm reading the bezel and body are the same as a standard 42mm Seiko. Now the SKA385 to me is a BIG kinetic imo.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I agree. The BFK is what I call a modern sized diver. It is not too large, and obviously not a mid size either, its just right.
But as an extremely large watch in the same league as the EcoZilla and the Caesar, it is not.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
IIRC, at the time this watch was introduced it was the largest kinetic powered watch that had been introduced to date. It was also introduced a few months after the BFS, and it simply played off the popularity of that nickname.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice review, enjoyed the article and pictures. I have two of those kinetic divers. A yellow SKA367 and my recent purchase a SKA371. I like the size of the bracelet and weight of the watch. Now if I could get a red dial kinetic diver that would be great.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I sold my blue one with the 'pepsi' bezel. Its a very nice watch but not for me, its proportions are a bit off and the face small compared to the heft of the watch. The deciding factor was the colour, as I think I could have lived with it if it had been an all black one.

I also have the older version with the blue dial and rectangular indices (sorry I cant remember the model number) and this one is much better. The proportions suit my smaller wrist and the design is just so much more integrated imo. Also the blue lacquer dial and silver framed indices are to die for.

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts