The Watch Site banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seiko Bell-Matic 4006-7000 (7030 T) .... the forgotten Business Bell

Some time ago I had the opportunity to read a ranking, compiled by Hermann (Starsometing), which indicated the Bell-Matic rarest products:

"These are, IMO, the six most rare models (with rarity decreasing from top to bottom):

1. Nov1966 4006-7000, 7000T Diashock-Dial, Dolphin Caseback
2. 21J 4006-7019
3. Dec1966/Jan1967 4006-7000, 7000T Diashock-dial
4. 21J 4006-7029
5. 4006-7010 7040T 'Business Bell'
6. All calibre 4005A Belles

Just my 2 cts ;-)

Best,
Hermann"

then ... in addition to print and attach on my bed the list, I began to hunt, i have a little passion for this line of Seiko, trying to bring home some prey respectable

... to enrich my collection.

For my part, for now I could ringed only the fifth (4006-7010 Bell Business, dial 7040T) and sixth (4005-7000 with blue dial)

4006-7010

4005-7000

... but it's not what I want to tell you about ...

Always looking .... dredging Japanese auctions ... it is out of a surprise: a 4006-7000 ... WITH BUSINESS BELL DIAL ... (although in a terrible state) ..... I had never

seen!

As my experience is wide ... admitting my ignorance I went looking for a watch like that ....but not find him. I thought it was a "Frankie" ... a combination of different

clocks ... as often happens with Bell-matic, and gave up.

He spent some time and while I was able to access the database of photos of Fabio (fmc000) ... among which I came across an deplian representing ... in GREAT company ...

(first clock on the left front row) a Bell ... 4006-7000 ... with the simbol of business bell ....

... but unfortunately the picture is not very clear .... these two information together have given me the confidence that the model in question is really existed ...
... when I saw another 4006-7000 on sales with business dial, I had no hesitation ........ must to be mine!

... I thought that if there were two equal Watch and one Depliand .... had to be necessarily a good watch ... and rare.

unfortunately... I had not realized it was the same watch already discovered ... seller had started the restoration .... so bad.

So the idea of "Frankie" had returned .... But to dispel any doubt, fortunately, the dial is different from that of 4006-7010 ..... has a own code .. ... "4006 AD 7030T"

... different from the "4006 AD 7040T"

* ... Then the serial number on the bottom inserts it into the right period of production: the Business-Bell were marketed only towards the second half of 1967 and only

for that year.

Fun Event: when I showed a photo to Guru-friend Hermann ... here is his comment:

"@ Mauro: I'll be damned, I always believed the 7030T dial was either a myth or just a prototype that never made it into production. NEVER seen one of these before, I

guess I will have to update my "Bell-rarities" list :)

Looking forward to more info on this!

Best
H"

(Please, Hermann what do you mean: a "myth or just a prototype" ?... can you give some addictional information on this dial)

Clock analysis shows some interesting notation, although roughly resumes to the canons of all 4006-7000.

* The bottom "water Proof" (besides having the 7 nunber, to the 1968 already we find only six digits) has a different shape compared to 4006-7010 BB (same period) and to

4006-7000 dolphin (than 6 months more older)

Seiko produced before a bottom curved dolphin in late 1966, then in May 1967 we have a body "jagged" ... but at the same time, for 4006-7010, a curved bottom, different

than the dolphin, then .... in 1968 we only bottom jagged ... even for the 4006-701x

4006-7000 BB bottom

4006-7010 curved bottom

4006-7000 dolphin bottom

4006-7000 to 1968 "jagged"

Graphics pad very similar ... perhaps slightly different font.

The crown is of a type similar to the 4006-7010 BB ... other than that which it will adopt then in subsequent editions in almost all Bell (although on this there would do

rely.... i think has been replaced)

to the left of the 4006-7000 Code 55W06N .... oldest. The other should be code 55M06N ...the most common.

This must be the original bracelet: in bars, bend curve, ... and, different all other Bell, measuring 18 mm.

Thanks for the attention.

Please excuse my bad English, but I'm Italian ... and a naughty student.

Thanks (and a greeting) to Fabio and to Hermann that allowed me to buy a watch is unique in Italy and .... certainly very rare in the world.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Many many thanks for the detailed post Mauro,

and what a fantastic catch!!

LIke you, I had always considered 4006-700s with a business bell dial to be a Franken - until I saw that the dial code was different from the 4006-701s BB dial (7030T vs. 7040T)!

This is what I meant with "prototype" or "myth" - basically, Seiko would just chronologically increase the dial code designation with every new dial designed - but I am not sure if this means that all of them actually made it to production or if some of the dials were just designed but never produced.

As for the different caseback layouts on the 4006-700 and 4006-701:
Do NOT FORGET that the cases were manufactured at different manufacturing lines/factories: the 4006-700 cases have factory code "J" (always, but the earlier cases have the designation on the inside of the csb) while the 4006-701 cases have factory code "A"! Changes in caseback designs were not implemented at all lines/factories at the same time.

Many thanks again for sharing, it always amazes me that there is still additional knowledge to be gathered even after all these years!

Oh, and I guess I will have to update my "most rare belles" post :)

Best
H

·
Registered
138 Posts
It has been almost six years since this was originally posted, ever since I got my first Bell back in November 2017, this was one of the first posts I came across and became fascinated with Bell-Matics including the Business Bell and always wondered would another of the 7000 7030T "Forgotten Business Bells" ever come up again? This year I finally got an answer to that question

The story starts back on a Tuesday in July this year, I had just gotten back from a fantastic trip to Birmingham to attend the watch fair. I was in work on a 20 minute break and decided to check the auctions.
Watch Photograph Analog watch Light Clock

There it was! A 4006-7000 with the Business bell dial, my first taught was to check the dial code to make sure it was 7030T vs the regular 7010 7040T and sure enough it was!. I set my maximum bid and waited for the auction to end on Sunday. Thankfully managed to win the auction for €255.15, my first Business Bell! Now the fun was really about to begin....

As like with my last two Bells I bought from Japan, decided to go with EMS shipping, expected the shipping to be slow given the current circumstances, but had no idea what was ahead!
Keeping a watchful eye on the tracking, I noticed a problem...…

It had been sent back to Japan! I got in touch with An Post who in turn explained it had something to do with incomplete customs forms and had been sent back TWICE to Japan!!!! Some more digging found other people having similar experiences, another post on here with more details [Link] the common factor being An Post. Given the importance of the package, decided after it arriving back at the warehouse, to go with FedEx this time around and completely avoid having to deal with An Post altogether.

After travelling around the world...…. It FINALLY arrived! But was it in one piece after its long journey?

Brown Wood Rectangle Beige Linens

Shipping box Packaging and labeling Carton Packing materials Rectangle

Grey Natural material Snow Freezing Rock

After what seemed like an eternity, the big revel.....

A quick video testing the functions

It appears the case and bezel have been polished, along with the common faded red triangle alarm marker. The dial as a few small marks but overall really happy with the condition. I noticed there seems to be a gap in the horseshoe above the N in Stainless

Put the bracelet from my January 1967 7000 to give an idea what it would of looked like on the original bracelet

A comparison between a November 1966 4006-7000 Dolphin

Along with a January 1967 7000

Analog watch Body jewelry Silver Watch Watch accessory

May 1967, the same month as the one posted by m4uro, the earliest Business Bell I've come across is from April 1967, a regular 7010 Business Bell an example from a 1967 catalog

Watch Analog watch Photograph Clock Watch accessory

I also managed to find a better copy of the catalog featured in the original post by m4uro thanks to the help of the Seiko Museum in Japan

Watch Photograph Analog watch Product Fashion

The watch mentioned in the previous post is not a Business Bell, but a early 4006-7000 with Diashock dial, a closer picture thanks to a post on wristsushi

Always wanted to get my hands on a Business Bell, never expected it to be this one! Extremely relieved to have it home safe and sound, I really was starting to panic, would of flown to Japan my self to get it home! Well I guess it wouldn't be a normal post if there wasn't a story to go along with it!
I want to say a massive THANK YOU to m4uro for originally finding out and documenting this interesting piece of Bell-Matic history. Fell extremely grateful to have it as part of my ever grown collection and along with meeting and chatting with members on here the past year, it really has become a great piece of my life! As always, will get around to getting it serviced and will update on any further developments.

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Watch accessory

More Pictures [Link]
Thank You,
Keith.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very nice find congrats
I'm a little jelous right now but I hope that some day I will find a Fogotten Bells some day

1 - 4 of 4 Posts