The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hope you're all well and safe.

I am new to thewatchsite.com and was amazed you had a section just for bellmatics.

If anyone could help me please. I bought a 4006-6040 few days back from a local shop. I noticed it had a fake dial due to no availability of the serial numbers next to 6 oclock.

But i bought it anyway and told the seller if the watch is fake upon checking, i will return it and he agreed. Just to mention, the watch feels solid and wears very well.

Also noticed later below points, but im no expert:
1-no lume at all (only on min/hour hands)
2-minute and hour hands looks different from compared online pics.
3-bracelet looks a bit different as well
4-no serial on dial face(as mentioned above)

Can anyone confirm please? Highly appreciated.

Pictures attached

Regards,
Mahmood
20210111_170735.jpg
20210111_170625.jpg
20210111_170534.jpg
20210111_170325.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The watch is not fake. The dial looks to have been repainted which is not all bad. It's a nice looker.

If it keeps time and the alarm sets and rings properly enjoy it!

Here's one in blue, the -6040 came in various colors:
Thanks a lot Grammar, yes everything works perfectly fine, the alarm as well. But needs service for sure.

One more question, when crown not pulled (position zero) turning it clockwise will tighten the alarm bell. But counter clock wise does nothing but has clicks sound. What is that for?

Same thing in one pull (position one), counter clockwise moves the inner alarm bezel, but clockwise has clicks and does nothing. Am I missing something?

Thanks again Grammar for your swift reply and support. Highly appreciated (y)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Did it come from india by any chance? They do some amazing work on repainting dials. The seiko logo is fake and has been stuck on whats probably an original repainted dial, the hour markers look low quality compared to original. I'd agree the hour and minute hands are replacement ones, as is the crown. It looks like the bracelet and case have been refinished with a courser grit than original.

Its a 6040 though, so its not a franken as such. As G of D says, its a nice looking watch, and its an amazing repaint job. There are people who have paid rediculous amounts of money for frankens,so much so that the price is almost irrelevant now. Its how you feel about the watch yourself. People go crazy over patina for some reason. Myself, I like a nice looking watch without a lot of corrosion and deterioration. They say they like patina because it shows all the history of the watch. So yours has a new dial as part of its history - whats the differenceof that to having some crappy patina, except yours looks a lot nicer. I've seen a lot of really bad repaint jobs, yours is a really good one. I'd say they have even redone the Bell-matic lettering but the font is just slightly too italic. There is a fake dial going around where they managed to reproduce the tiny lettering at the base of the dial, but from memory, it uses numbers that were not legitimate. The dial colours were not right though. Fakes almost never do the tiny letters at the bottom.

This is what yours probably looked like before the dial repaint.

Bellmatic prices have gone a bit crazy now. As long as you didn't pay $500 as an original 6040, then its probably a good watch. Its a mechanical alarm watch, how cool is that! There are no fake internal parts, but they fake the dial, the hands, the logo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it come from india by any chance? They do some amazing work on repainting dials. The seiko logo is fake and has been stuck on whats probably an original repainted dial, the hour markers look low quality compared to original. I'd agree the hour and minute hands are replacement ones, as is the crown. It looks like the bracelet and case have been refinished with a courser grit than original.

Its a 6040 though, so its not a franken as such. As G of D says, its a nice looking watch, and its an amazing repaint job. There are people who have paid rediculous amounts of money for frankens,so much so that the price is almost irrelevant now. Its how you feel about the watch yourself. People go crazy over patina for some reason. Myself, I like a nice looking watch without a lot of corrosion and deterioration. They say they like patina because it shows all the history of the watch. So yours has a new dial as part of its history - whats the differenceof that to having some crappy patina, except yours looks a lot nicer. I've seen a lot of really bad repaint jobs, yours is a really good one. I'd say they have even redone the Bell-matic lettering but the font is just slightly too italic. There is a fake dial going around where they managed to reproduce the tiny lettering at the base of the dial, but from memory, it uses numbers that were not legitimate. The dial colours were not right though. Fakes almost never do the tiny letters at the bottom.

This is what yours probably looked like before the dial repaint.
View attachment 462149

Bellmatic prices have gone a bit crazy now. As long as you didn't pay $500 as an original 6040, then its probably a good watch. Its a mechanical alarm watch, how cool is that! There are no fake internal parts, but they fake the dial, the hands, the logo.
Hi Sossity, first of all thank you so much for the detailed answer that took a while of your precious time bro, really appreciate it. Also thank you and Grammar for the positive energy. I am on the same page as you, not into the patina hype, i love my watches clean, maybe a tiny bit of scratches or patina is ok as well. Im a type of a person who reallly takes care of his stuff so yeah haha.

Im not sure if its sourced from india, it might highly be due to price. But thats what made me buy it, and also made me kind of ignore the fake dial or painted as you stated. I paid way well below $500 for a fully functioning bell matic.
I will try to find an original dial, it will take time but not in a hurry.

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts