The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all. I have recently acquired a very beautiful vintage (1995, I believe) Seiko AGS Spirit. This has the 5M22A movement and is cased in a single piece titanium case with a matching titanium bracelet. The whole rig is extremely light and is in excellent condition. Capacitor, of course, had to be replaced. I have had 5M22 and 5M42 movements open many times and have replaced many capacitors, including the Arctura one piece case with four screws on the front. So I had no problems getting into the case (press fit with a gasket) and replacing the capacitor. The watch runs great now.

One thing that I can not do at the moment is close it back up. The gasket that goes between the crystal bezel and the case is stretched to the point of not being useful and needs to be replaced. Hence my question. How and where can I find the proper gasket for this? I have tried looking, but so far no luck. If anyone knows how and where to buy this gasket I will sure appreciate the info.

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting a new seal will be very difficult and then it needs to be pressed on without catching it.

I'd glue it back on:)
Use a quality two pot glue.
I have not even considered glue. What if I need to go back in there? Also, there is play between the bezel and the case absent the gasket. How would I center it? What kind of glue is acceptable here?

I would think that those gaskets are available. It's a simple round shape and the material is the same as a crystal gasket. Why wouldn't such a gasket be sold? There is nothing special about it. I have bought crystal gaskets before for replacing crystals, but they were "I" shaped in cross section. This will not work here. It needs to be either flat or "L" shaped. I have seen "L" shaped gaskets for sale. I may just try ordering a few of those (they are like $3 each) and see what happens. Also, what about a rubber gasket such as ones for the case backs?

I think I will try those before I try glue. That just sounds horrific to me in this situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was a joke, Source a NOS gasket proper ;:)
Phew! Thank god! I am a newb at this, sorry I did not detect irony. I want to source the proper gasket, that is why I asked here. I don't know where and how to source it.

Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have measured the ID and OD of the space that the gasket is to occupy, BTW. So I know the dimensions. The OD is 32.3mm and ID is 31.6mm

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I have not even considered glue. What if I need to go back in there? Also, there is play between the bezel and the case absent the gasket. How would I center it? What kind of glue is acceptable here?

I would think that those gaskets are available. It's a simple round shape and the material is the same as a crystal gasket. Why wouldn't such a gasket be sold? There is nothing special about it. I have bought crystal gaskets before for replacing crystals, but they were "I" shaped in cross section. This will not work here. It needs to be either flat or "L" shaped. I have seen "L" shaped gaskets for sale. I may just try ordering a few of those (they are like $3 each) and see what happens. Also, what about a rubber gasket such as ones for the case backs?

I think I will try those before I try glue. That just sounds horrific to me in this situation.

"horrific" is a slight over statement :rolleyes:

The glue can be broken apart. If you've fitted a new capacitor the movement should be good for many years. Center it by eye - when it looks right or micrometer around the edge.

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
Paul's voice is a singular one in the wilderness- I challenge you to find another watchmaker or even hobbyist so intent on gluing things together that were never intended to be so, who is at the same time so proud of his uncaring and cynical approach.
Please take his comments with the largest grain of salt you can stomach, he does not seem to have the long-term view in mind nor the basic love of these watches that most other people here do. This causes him (or correlates) to giving advice that is not in the best interest of the watch nor the next person to have to service it. While learning different approaches to repair can stimulate discussion and growth, just plain bad advice like this needs to be called out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paul's voice is a singular one in the wilderness- I challenge you to find another watchmaker or even hobbyist so intent on gluing things together that were never intended to be so, who is at the same time so proud of his uncaring and cynical approach.
Please take his comments with the largest grain of salt you can stomach, he does not seem to have the long-term view in mind nor the basic love of these watches that most other people here do. This causes him (or correlates) to giving advice that is not in the best interest of the watch nor the next person to have to service it. While learning different approaches to repair can stimulate discussion and growth, just plain bad advice like this needs to be called out.
I was not going to glue this watch even if I had to leave it open and not use it until such a time as I find the gasket. This watch appears to be very lightly worn. I really want to keep it original. Glue was the furthest from my thoughts, of course.

Thanks to @7S26b, who kindly provided a screenshot of the Seiko catalog search, I was able to order this gasket from an outfit online callet "S.T. Supply Co". It was $6 and they seemed to have it in stock. I placed an order for two pieces (in case I botch the first one up and/or if I want to get into the watch again). I am so grateful for the info! In the process I learned how to get to and search the Seiko catalog myself, which is even more important.

I will post an update when I receive the material and finish the job on this beauty.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
806 Posts
A word of advice when pressing in the front bezel - make sure it stays horizontal all around as it goes in.

If it should tilt while being pressed in, it will put pressure on one side of the dial, tilting it and breaking the dial feet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A word of advice when pressing in the front bezel - make sure it stays horizontal all around as it goes in.

If it should tilt while being pressed in, it will put pressure on one side of the dial, tilting it and breaking the dial feet.
Thanks for the advice. Still waiting for the arrival of the material.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I have received the gasket(s). I tried to follow the advice of pressing it in very square, but I failed at the first attempt and stretched the gasket out. So for the second attempt (I bought two gaskets) I moved to my drill press. Yes, drill press. Please don't laugh. It is very well tuned up to apply pressure perpendicularly to the table. So I chucked in a 1.125" forstner bit into it and used a block of very dry walnut scrap cut with parallel sides on the end grain (so the quill of the drill press applies pressure to the end grain of the wood) to place between the drill bit and the watch crystal, which is also very flat. I used the drill press to press in the bezel and it worked! Slow and steady, very well oriented pressure and the bezel went home. I am very happy, but for one minor flaw. The bezel is not absolutely perfectly aligned. Most people will not notice, but I know... Well, it's still good (enough) for now. I cautiously tested water resistance by placing the watch under running faucet and no moisture got in. I will not be testing the 100 meter spec, of course. I just need to be able to wash my hands with the watch on for daily wear.

No glue was used :) The gaskets were $6/each and I wish I got more than two because I may have to go in there again. But for right now I am very happy. The watch is super comfortable and runs great.

Here it is after the bezel was installed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts