The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Seiko A829-6029 “Astronaut” that was purchased new for me (and one for my brother) by my grandparents. The watch has been everywhere with me. I would very much like to restore this watch. Can anyone direct me to where I can find parts and to someone who can repair her.

Thank you,

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
I am going through the same process right now and can tell you that "jules Borel" only have the crystal and crystal gasket, although their site lists other parts they come back as "not in stock", the case gasket and bezel i brought from Peter in Australia "[email protected]" the pusher gaskets are available from Cousins Material House in the UK. Try not to damage the white piezo element on the case back, they are available but if your alarm is still working it should be ok. The transmission pins are impossible to find, they come with a gasket so be careful when removing them.

The manual
http://www.watchuseek.com/seikocitizen/SeikoTechnicalManuals/A829A.pdf

Part numbers#

bezel 86010531
glass 270W17LN00
back seal FE323BAA1
glass seal 86174720
button seal EB0055BOA
transmition pin 81604979

The bezels are hard to find and the only one i found was the red/black combination from Peter. Part # 86010532 for A829-602A

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OTR002,
Thanks for the info. I may have already run across "Petewatch" does he sell on ebay under the name watchbizpete?

Could you please provide me with the addresses of the companies you listed. I would like to order what ever parts I can.

I take it that you already used the red/black bezel you found?

Thanks,
Micah

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
I have no idea if Peter has a ebay account and jules Borel and Cousins Material House can be found after a short google search ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes, he is watchbizpete on the bay. But email him if you are looking for vintage parts, his inventory is nothing short of amazing. I have seen his parts collection first hand, and words fail me!

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
^-^ I tried to obtain Seiko parts here in the UK, from Cousin uk, but I was politely informed WHOLESALE ONLY :'( .

Please let me know how you or any one have found the same.

Bob.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
sewingman said:
^-^ I tried to obtain Seiko parts here in the UK, from Cousin uk, but I was politely informed WHOLESALE ONLY :'( .

Please let me know how you or any one have found the same.

Bob.
I regularly deal with Cousins if they have in stock what you are after there service is very good.

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
I just went through the web site, logged in and registered as a business, which i am ::) but nothing to do with watches!

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
^-^ Very interesting, I could not get pass the girl on reception, she reported that you had to be in the trade or registered as a business ??? .

Bob.

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
sewingman said:
^-^ Very interesting, I could not get pass the girl on reception, she reported that you had to be in the trade or registered as a business ??? .

Bob.

Give their web site a go, no one to argue with ::)

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
^-^ Thanks otr002 will do, I used a retired expert but I am OK now :D .

Bob.

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
Bob, Glad to be of service, you never know when you need an retired expert asleep

Rod

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rod,
I tried to get the parts from Jules Borel and got the "wholesale only" line. Is there someone I can go through to order the parts?

Micah

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it, thanks. Don't know why they gave me the run around over the phone.

Has anyone purchased the movement for a Helbros X600B? Where can I get one? One poster stated that the movement was a drop in replacement. I would like to track one down. I was hoping to find an old X600B but have not seen one.
http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1155133165
http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1120019726

Just bought a NOS bezel on eBay. Now I need the resto of the parts to make the old girl run again. Any assistance is appreciared.

Thanks,
Micah

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:)
OK, I think I have been successful in tracking down all the parts needed to restore this watch, including a NOS bezel. I might even have a few spares for down the road.

Now, who do I send it to for the restoration? Will Seiko do it? (I'm doubting it since some of the parts are aftermarket) So, who can do it for me? Any suggestions? Who to avoid?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I am just waiting on one or two more parts to arrive from overseas and I will have everything to rebuild her. Plus a few extras.

Seiko has agreed to repair the watch. I might even be able to have them do a bit of restoration on the case.

Now, my brother is suddenly interested in finding his old A829.

Thanks for the assistance.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gonzo,
I have not been on the board for a while and did not see your question until today.

Well, today, I called Seiko for a status update and was told that she was shipped out this morning. Their services was $72. I think it was a very reasonable charge considering that they essentially had to rebuild the watch from ground up. I asked them to polish up the case a bit. Hopefully they did. I cannot wait to have her back again. Especially it will be in nearly new condition. It will be like I was 18 again.

It certainly cost me a few bucks to find all the parts. The biggest cost was the bezel. I paid way too much for it and then I found another one for 1/3 the price. Sometimes, it just doesn't matter what it costs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, today my watch finally returned from Seiko. They did a little bit of work on the case to smooth out some of the dings. It looks like the day Grandma and Grandpa gave it to me some 25 years ago.

I was happy to finally strap it on. Unfortunately, somehow Seiko managed to tear my original style band. I have a generic replacement on it now but will purchase the nearly perfect original replacement for that authentic look.

I don't think they replaced as many parts as I thought they would have. I had them return what they did not use and what they replaced. I cannot tell what they replaced. All the returned parts, except for the bezel, look new. Originally they said the movement was bad. When I called to see what they replaced, they could only say the bezel was replaced and that the movement was repaired. I don't think the movement was replaced.

Great to have her back and looking as good as new.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts