The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got this one after looking all over for one in a decent condition for quite some time. Reading how, for whatever reason, people like to buy birthyear watches I was interested to check watches that were released when I was born. As I was born in the mid of the Quartz crisis (as Swiss manufacturers like to call it, I prefer Quartz revolution) there were no many mechanical watches to choose from. I have never been interested in digital watches, but looking at some of the models from that time I realized what a magnificent job designers made to capture the very soul of the '70s and when I saw this one I immediately decided to make it a single digital piece in my collection. It's the first Seiko model to feature chronograph and alarm functions combined and I think it looks absolutely amazing. The bracelet might be the best part of it. Unfortunately I lack approximately 1cm in length to be able to wear it comfortably, so I am thinking about bracelet extenders. Any recommendations for an extender that fits SQ bracelet?

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here's an idea.

Mine is very similar to your watch. Although the band is slightly different, what I like about mine are the attachment. The hook attaches to a slide which is adjustable. This would fit yours also. IMG_0447.jpg

·
Poet Laureate
1,016 Posts
Great watch! I have a few from that era and I just love 'em. If memory serves, it took me two tries to find an extender for my S229. I think first I tried one like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Watch-Stra...hash=item2ec75ba886:m:m_J-Em4s4wvoxCZLgDrTG1g but it didn't fit. I believe the narrow part that fits into the clasp wasn't long enough, and you couldn't line up the holes to fit a spring bar in.
Then I tried this spring loaded model: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-12mm-...ByWmtMmqV269xMw:sc:USPSFirstClass!93013!US!-1
It fits great

IMG_20191006_193310.jpg

IMG_20191006_193211.jpg

IMG_20191006_193202.jpg

IMG_20191006_193150.jpg

IMG_20191006_193121.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are nice watches guys, thanks for the links, I think I'll also go for a spring loaded one!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recently got this one after looking all over for one in a decent condition for quite some time. Reading how, for whatever reason, people like to buy birthyear watches I was interested to check watches that were released when I was born. As I was born in the mid of the Quartz crisis (as Swiss manufacturers like to call it, I prefer Quartz revolution) there were no many mechanical watches to choose from. I have never been interested in digital watches, but looking at some of the models from that time I realized what a magnificent job designers made to capture the very soul of the '70s and when I saw this one I immediately decided to make it a single digital piece in my collection. It's the first Seiko model to feature chronograph and alarm functions combined and I think it looks absolutely amazing. The bracelet might be the best part of it. Unfortunately I lack approximately 1cm in length to be able to wear it comfortably, so I am thinking about bracelet extenders. Any recommendations for an extender that fits SQ bracelet?
I love this watch... I have been on my first big restorations aventures with A159... Soon I will be posting amazing pictures of my new family memberS... This is grammar of design kind of watch... This is what I love in Seiko, the aesthetic, so well made!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As promised... Hold on to your seat!
Amazing watches, congrats! 🍻
The crystal on mine is a bit cracked in the corner, currently looking for a new crystal and gasket. I saw some available on ebay some time ago, but all sold out now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Ivan!
I don't really see the crack on the picture...Did it happen recently. In general, I would advise not to attempt to replace it as you could make your watch worse by attempting to replace the crystal (it is tricky to remove the crystal without damaging the "plastic thing" - the thing with all the writing - that is directly under the crystal... . I know a place in the USA that have NOS crystal for this A159. Send me a PM if you want to go that risky way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts