The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, here's the thing...

I now have sixteen 8m and 6m caliber Seikos, a collection begun way back in 1990 with the 8M25-6000 (dial number). I saw it on television and had to have it!. Through the years I've picked up more and more of these multi-function, "Intelligent Quartz," "dancing hands" wonders, some of which are from the Age of Discovery collection. There are still enough models out there to keep me visiting thE Bay on a regular basis.

Anyway, while perusing thE Bay one day, I came across a watch that looked very much like my first ever Seiko, except that it had Arabic numerals instead of the Roman numerals my 8M25-6000 has. I bought it, thinking it a reasonable addition to my collection. I had owned if for some time before I noticed that the hands are a different style. Also, the inner ring of numbers indicate minutes on this one, while on the 6000 they are the hours, 13 through 24, and the mode dial is two-toned, with the "TIME" setting centered at the top. So there are some clear differences between the 6000 and the 6040. That said, here's my 8M25-6040 R:
(Hooray! Replies count as posts, so now I can add pics!).

Though an informed collector, I'm hardly a trained expert, so I'm beginning to entertain some doubts. Not being able to find even an image of another 8m25-6040 online, I can't help but wonder if this one might actually be a clever fake or something. So I was wondering if anyone else has seen, or owns, one like this 8m25-6040. Interestingly, the 8m25-6000 has a case back numbered 6009, while the 8m25-6040 has a case back numbered 6000. I have no idea why, as the cases and case backs appear virtually identical.

If the 6040 is a fake, it doesn't matter a great deal as it looks great and works as it should, every bit as accurate over time as you would expect from this model. As I recall, I didn't spend a great deal for it because I hardly ever do. And I'm glad I added it to the collection, as it looks great alongside its Roman numeral-ed brother (or cousin, or perhaps no relation at all!). I know neither are particularly sought after, but my very first retains pride-of-place in my collection.

And so, any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks muchly!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum..great to have you with us...well it is hard to say it is a fake...it might just be from a different market so the changes you see may reflect that...is this what you have?...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well after a quick search i do not see anything with that model number myself...when you can post some pics...please do ..i would be glad to help in any way i can...God Bless John..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

Actually, that is much closer to my 8m25-6000 (my first Seiko). It has the Roman numerals and the same hands, but a gold and white face, and the lettering in the mode dial is black instead of red.

Yes, there are so many variations on the theme within this caliber that I'm sure there are dozens I've not yet seen. And when you consider the different markets, the possibilities increase dramatically.

I really wish I could have posted the pics. Would have saved a lot of attempts at description. Alas.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
thank you Sir Alan...well you can post pics after more post you do...so in time you will be to post pics...all you need is 5 posts to start...God Bless John

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Seiko always has tons of variants with a short life span. So maybe there aren't that many of "your" watch type around.

I've got a 7M22 with leather band that I have only been able to find online with a bracelet.
Different case, though, as the bracelet version has two small openings for the inner bracelet links and mine has a large opening with 19mm lug with. You can check the number at boley.de (sadly without pictures), and then skip forwards or backwards to see all the variations:

http://boley.de/en/case-parts/seiko/18940

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I can't see anyone trying to fake any of the "M" smart series or "dancing hands" as they are sometimes called. I have several myself and they are a fantastic watch to collect. Out of all the ones I have I have only seen duplicates of two of the ones I have. I have seen a couple of the Soccer/Football timer models that I have one of and the other is a small cases 8M25-6009 with a classic Roman Numeral face. I have a 6M25-6039 blue dial that is just marked Sports 100 with no theme like many of the other are that I have never seen another.
As far as the case numbers being different. If Seiko offered the same watch to different sales areas they have a numbering system. All North American/South American market watched end in a 9. If the same watch is sold in Europe the number will be the same except the last digit will be a 0 and often the day wheel will be different and it is possible a slightly different dial.
I have two Seiko 7A28 watches that are 100% identical model 7A28-7020 and the second identical watch is marked 7A28-7029. the 7020 is a US market watch and the 7029 was originally sold new in Europe and I bought it off eBay. I would not worry about it being fake.
I too am looking to collect a couple more 6M watches. They have a yachtsman version of the Football watch and a Sports Timer version that is mean for timing and sproting even. They even have an Olympic timer version to with the ring logo in the center. hard to find but they do show up all over the world on eBay from time to time.

I started collecting them by accident because my niece players Soccer here in America and coaches the younger girls and she needed a timing device to time their games. I picked up a used 8M32-8019 I don't let here keep it though she losses things!

Michael

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@killsnapz - I tend to agree that there'd be little profit in counterfeiting many in the M series, though the 6m13-0010 and similar do have a strong appeal.
I wish you luck with your collection. You'll have no competition from me for either the soccer or yachting models. They are great looking watches, but I wouldn't use the timer functions much the way they have them set up.
I also have a 6m25-600 Sports 150 with a blue face, a calendar window and a rotating bevel. Nice looking watch, and not too bulky despite the bezel. One day I'll have to upload pics of the entire collection, just for fun.
Thanks again for the reply!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
hey Furple...the pics look great and thank everyone for the great info...Mike as always you know what to say....Mr.Jones excellent info too...God Bless John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts