The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle is a Pro diver. He firmly believes in Seikos and has worn only this brand while risking his life in the depths. He bought a Seiko back in around 1999. It is a 200m perpetual calendar watch. He says tht this is the first Seiko to disappoint him and let me tell you he is extremely tough on his watches!

Now the issue is...that he changed it's battery at a Seiko authorized dealer in Malta a few months back and he said that it never ran properly from that day, starting, stopping, etc...

I offered to take a look. I opened the watch and took off the battery. To my surprise....a Seiko 8F32 movement was sitting inside the case. Now the dial and caseback both state an 8F35 movement??!!

How could this be? Is it possible the Seiko AD replaced the movement without telling him? What is the difference between these movements? Thanks for any help...

Etienne

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi Etienne,
I assume the watch is of the SBCM023/25/27/29 family.
I would say the only possibility is that the Authorized Dealer in Malta did something... not authorized! :(
The 8F32 and the 8F35 calibers are similar but not identical, and there is no way your uncle's watch came from the factory with the wrong movement. So it had to be changed at one point.
I would suggest returning it to another AD for a thorough checkup, and specifically mentioning when and where the watch was last serviced.
Note that the SBCM023 (and hence the 8F35 caliber) is still in production, so any parts, including a new movement, should be available to an AD.
BTW, you should take some pictures of the watch and wrong movement and post them here, I am curious.
Cheers,

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ADB said:
Hi Etienne,
I assume the watch is of the SBCM023/25/27/29 family.
I would say the only possibility is that the Authorized Dealer in Malta did something... not authorized! :(
The 8F32 and the 8F35 calibers are similar but not identical, and there is no way your uncle's watch came from the factory with the wrong movement. So it had to be changed at one point.
I would suggest returning it to another AD for a thorough checkup, and specifically mentioning when and where the watch was last serviced.
Note that the SBCM023 (and hence the 8F35 caliber) is still in production, so any parts, including a new movement, should be available to an AD.
BTW, you should take some pictures of the watch and wrong movement and post them here, I am curious.
Cheers,
Thanks for your reply...that's what I thought too..what are the differences and which caliber is best?

I will post some pics for you guys to see...

The problem is there is only ONE seiko AD in Malta (malta is a small island). I think the best way is to send it to Japan. Is this possible? The watch needs a new Sapphire crystal, gaskets and bracelet too...

He cant find any of the boxes and papers that came with the watch...could I still send it to Japan? Anyone has any experience of this? Thanks!

Etienne

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Hi, Etienne!
Congratulations for the SBBN013!

About sending it in to Japan....contact Katsu-san @ www.higuchi-inc.com - he's a true gentleman.

I have already sent 3 tunas 1000m (being the 3rd one presently with him to go to YSERV) for battery and complete gaskets and crown change. He accepts comissioning the work with YSERV even if the watch wasn't bought at his store. He is THAT helpful. Well, at least that's what happened in my case (maybe being a faithfull customer of his for BNIB JDM seikos might have had an influence).

Try Katsu, man. I could bet he can help you.

In a worst case scenario, your A.D. should be in charge of sending it out to Japan, I think.

Best of luck!
Regards,
CHRIS

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris said:
Hi, Etienne!
Congratulations for the SBBN013!

About sending it in to Japan....contact Katsu-san @ www.higuchi-inc.com - he's a true gentleman.

I have already sent 3 tunas 1000m (being the 3rd one presently with him to go to YSERV) for battery and complete gaskets and crown change. He accepts comissioning the work with YSERV even if the watch wasn't bought at his store. He is THAT helpful. Well, at least that's what happened in my case (maybe being a faithfull customer of his for BNIB JDM seikos might have had an influence).

Try Katsu, man. I could bet he can help you.

In a worst case scenario, your A.D. should be in charge of sending it out to Japan, I think.

Best of luck!
Regards,
CHRIS
Hi chris, thanks for your kind reply :-*

I love the SBBN013...

I sent Katsu and Seiya an e-mail yesterday. Both very helpful gentleman. Katsu hasn't replied yet...Seiya did, and told me that he is ready to help. The watch will be on his way to him. I will get them to rectify the fault and replace the movement only if necessary. Thanks for your help!

Etienne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts