The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I just received this watch but don't know how to release the stem and crown . There is no arrow to show the release lever . I tried the screw by the stem but that doesn't seem to work . There is a small hole that I can see a little lever move through and I tried that in all 3 crown positions with no luck . I am not sure if that lever is the right point and I don't want to damage anything . A little help would be appreciated . This watch has a Lions Head on the crest where a 5 would usually be . Thanks , Louis

Screen shot 2015-04-08 at 5.58.53 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-04-08 at 5.16.58 PM.png

A better pic of the lions head logo..

Screen shot 2015-04-08 at 5.57.11 PM.png

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
That lever might have a little dimple in it, showing where to push? Usually in the hands setting position. (or when you can access the dimple the easiest)
Sometimes I remove the circuit for a better look on the mechanism. I think you can remove the circuit and the metal plate around the coil (start with that first) to take a better look. Don't remove the backplate for the gears! (and don't touch the coil of course :) )

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That lever might have a little dimple in it, showing where to push? Usually in the hands setting position. (or when you can access the dimple the easiest)
Sometimes I remove the circuit for a better look on the mechanism. I think you can remove the circuit and the metal plate around the coil (start with that first) to take a better look. Don't remove the backplate for the gears! (and don't touch the coil of course :) )
Thank You Dutchsiberia , Your help hit the nail on the head . I didn't read your post until I decided to investigate . There was not the usual dimples , lever , or screw that was obvious....so it was time for exploratory surgery .

DSC00001.JPG

Next , as you suggested , I removed the coil plate....

DSC00004.JPG

Next came the circuit block....Then the plastic plate...
DSC00006.JPG

And there in it's dimpled glory was the release lever

DSC00009.JPG

And Out with the crown and stem..

DSC00011.JPG

Much Mahalos to you Amigo...I appreciate the help and support

Aloha , Louis

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Nice work! I'm glad it worked out :) And now it's easier to see if there's any battery acid damage and you can see it any contacts need cleaning. I suggested to remove the coil plate first, because I couldn't see if the circuit extended under the plate :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The circuit block did extend under the coil block plate with the contact to the coil . Zero battery damage anywhere . For now I took the movement out , cleaned the case and bracelet , oiled the 4 pivot jewels and bushing , and lubed the sliding pinion and stem . It looks happy as it ticks away .
Do you or anyone have any history on the Lions Head in the crest ? That's really why I bought the watch.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I vaguely recollect a South Korean connection, It wás mentioned on the forum? (while ago) (but I could be completely wrong of course)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't gotten very far in my search for info on the Lions Head crest but your reference to a South Korean connection seems the most logical .

Screen shot 2015-04-11 at 11.25.53 AM.png

Screen shot 2015-04-11 at 11.37.20 AM.png

Screen shot 2015-04-11 at 11.29.00 AM.png

I know it is not a quality watch....just a novelty .

·
Registered
82 Posts
A big thanks goes out to ricardo

Your photos with accompanying explanations were spot on and very helpful.

I had just posted the same question last night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And thank you, Dutchsiberia! I was able to replace the crystal on my Seiko 8223-5040 watch from your reply! First time ever I did any watch repair!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The circuit block did extend under the coil block plate with the contact to the coil . Zero battery damage anywhere . For now I took the movement out , cleaned the case and bracelet , oiled the 4 pivot jewels and bushing , and lubed the sliding pinion and stem . It looks happy as it ticks away .
Do you or anyone have any history on the Lions Head in the crest ? That's really why I bought the watch.
Thank you! I just did my first watch repair ever using your photos! New crystal on my Seiko 8223-5040.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts