The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have been reading through the forums (excellent reading) but I am unable to find the info I need, even though the answer is probably staring me in the face. Unfortunately the band broke on my Seiko Seiko 7T92 and the glass smashed when it hit the concrete. Got a quote of $250 to replace the glass and service it - I can buy a new one for a lot less than that so I thought I would have a go at replacing the glass and servicing it myself. I have read the forums on how to do it but I am getting confused with what size and thickness the glass needs to be (so many part numbers). Could someone please enlighten me or point me toward the appropriate post.

Thanks all

Col

·
Super Moderator
3,226 Posts
Hi Col,
The size and thickness of a case's crystal depends upon the specifics of the case itself. A watchmaker performing the work for you would either order the correct crystal from a material house by the case number (to receive a genuine crystal or correct-fitting generic), or they could measure the existing crystal and/or case opening and order a generic based on this. For a case design such as this one, the crystal gasket would also need to be replaced when fitting a new crystal. It would behoove you to replace the other gaskets as well if they haven't been replaced in recent years. If any shards of the crystal have migrated to the movement from any of the holes in the dial, they will cause problems with running and could damage parts inside. It's usually not a matter of "if", but rather "how many" have found their way inside, so most smart watchmakers will not overlook this when a watch comes to them with a shattered crystal.

If you do not have the tools and skills already in hand to perform such a task, why not shop around with other watchmakers to find one you are more comfortable with? $250 doesn't sound out of line for the complete repair of a watch such as this given it's complexity and possible scarcity of replacement parts, but somehow the watchmaker who gave you this quote wasn't able to convey this to you well enough. Perhaps another would better explain what is involved time-wise and skill-wise to complete such a repair satisfactorily. Remember, their fee is not based on how much the watch originally cost you, but rather how much their time and skill is worth.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hi Col,

I replaced the crystal in my 7T92-OCFO myself as paying $250 to replace a crystal for a sub $150 watch was too much for me to bear.

I measured the old crystal and bought a generic crystal from Esslinger (part # 201100 31.00mm by 1.00mm). Since I don't swim with my watch I felt comfortable using the old plastic crystal gasket.

I had to cobble together a press from my wood shop mortiser and some wooden disks :-\ . Upon reflection I will wait to replace my next crystal until I buy the correct press as I caused myself some unnecessary stress by being impatient. A crystal press can be bought for about $20.

Shipping and handling cost more than the crystal, glue (for the bezel insert I was trying to replace) and the 10 watch batteries I bought from them. All in all I spent $27.74, which was much more palatable for my wife.

If you're comfortable trying it out I would suggest going for it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys and thanks for the replies.

It is probably a little bit more involved than I thought, I hadn't considered the shards of crystal that would be throughout the movement - and the glass is a shattered quite badly; it was also fogged up from moisture getting in too. It's not that I think that $250 is excessive for someone skilled to repair it, it just isn't economical when I can buy the same watch for considerably less. I would like to have a go at repairing it for that reason, I have nothing to lose really, it has been sitting in a draw for over 12 months, so it is a waste. Can I ask where I would find the case number for the watch, I assume that it is inside not on the outside?

thanks again

Col

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll let you know how it goes once I get the crystal. I have found a supplier here in Australia and I have a question regarding crystal size before I order. They don't actually list the diameter in millimeters, they just have a number. I am assuming that a size 300 is 30mm, am I right? The website is below.

http://www.labanda.com.au/catalogue.php?group=9&section=1&m=&page=1

Thanks

Col

·
Registered
77 Posts
Borel lists the crystal for 15.70 Pt. # 310P03HN02. You can install yourself

colburge said:
Hi Guys

I have been reading through the forums (excellent reading) but I am unable to find the info I need, even though the answer is probably staring me in the face. Unfortunately the band broke on my Seiko Seiko 7T92 and the glass smashed when it hit the concrete. Got a quote of $250 to replace the glass and service it - I can buy a new one for a lot less than that so I thought I would have a go at replacing the glass and servicing it myself. I have read the forums on how to do it but I am getting confused with what size and thickness the glass needs to be (so many part numbers). Could someone please enlighten me or point me toward the appropriate post.

Thanks all

Col

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KenS said:
Borel lists the crystal for 15.70 Pt. # [size=2em]310P03HN02. You can install yourself
Thanks for the part number KenS, I will order one of those plus the generic flat one as well just in case I break it when I put it in. Can you let me know where you got the part number from? I have been reading through the forum and found the parts break down for my model but it doesn't list case parts. I have searched everywhere and cant find a Case Parts Catalogue anywhere. I want to replace all the seals in it while I am at it but it is difficult to know what gaskets/o-ring's to get with out the numbers.

Thanks again

Col

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys, my new crystal came today from Cousins and I just fitted it, piece of cake, although my method of installing it was probably a bit rough. I used a G-Clamp, a piece of wood some felt and a dollar coin - photo attached. Won of the buttons is sticky too and needs to be pulled out and cleaned but my eyes aren't good enough to remove the cir-clip, so I will leave if for now. I know the watch is just a cheapy but I new nothing about Seiko watches a few years ago when I got it, and it will do as a work watch.

I won an ebay auction for a 7a28 7020 last week, I hope it arrives soon from New York and I didn't get ripped off the $105 I paid for it. it will give me something else to play with.

Col

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
That's great Col. Thanks for the pictures. Your method was remarkably similar to mine in practice. I'm glad it worked out, although I'm sorry that you got the bug and now am doomed to a life of watch collecting :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.