The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got this 7T59 to play with and the 1/100th hand does not move around. Instead its just going back and forth.

The chrono reset function also moves the hand only one tick forward and one tick back.

The seller said the hand moves slow and it needs a new battery. As the "normal" second hand does not tick in 2s intervals, that doesn't seem likely, or does it?

Thanks for your insight,

Jonas

·
Craftsman
518 Posts
There is a self test / demo mode on this watch, so you can see if its functioning correctly (which from your description it isn't).

Press and hold the 8pm pusher. I can't remember if you need the main crown at the first click position or not.

Fully working or not it will give you watch a quick gym test.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jup, did that - doesn't move around, just back and forth :(
Would you say that I should return it, or is it fixable with relatively low effort? The 7T59 movement exchange video got me thinking... but cousins does no longer stock 7T59 movements.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
very beautiful watch it would be a shame to have to send it back..i hope you can make it 100%...God Bless John

·
Craftsman
518 Posts
Hmm - tricky dilemma.

Definitely worth an AC reset, but I'll be very surprised if this fixes the issue.

If you could buy a new movement, then you'd have a straightforward fix (but when I bought them from Cousins they were about £60, so not exactly cheap. It does depend to an extent on what you paid for the watch).

Other than that you could have a look at the movement and see if you can see what's wrong. To do this you're going to need to take it apart. I've only been inside the dial side of one of these and that was bad enough.

The risk here (and its a big one) is that you make things worse. You could easily end up with a paperweight.

The 1/100s function is not something you're going to actually use - but it is what sets this watch apart from all others. It really does depend on what you paid and how much it bothers you.

·
Administrator
32,595 Posts
Could it be a similar problem to what you often find on 7a's/7548s were the sweep hand (or any hand) is sticking due to perhaps needing a service/dried oils and if you gentle push it round a few times with such has a tooth pick it will free it off ?

Only last night i had a 7548 that wouldent run and after rotating the sweep second hand a few times with a tooth pick it started running and its still running now.

The likes of the 754X movements can also be freed off using a demag sometimes.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'll try that. I paid ~200 Euros for the watch and OF COURSE I bought it for the 1/100th chrono function. Not really useful, but a joy to watch ;)

The seller seems a friendly guy, maybe he'll take it back. Was a good price, though.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
If I was keeping the watch I would take the movement out of the case and give the 1/100 th hand a helping nudge forward with a bit of Rodico. Then retest.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did just that - moved once, is now stuck at another position. Seems there is some grit or dirt in the wheels, heat (luke warm) treatment did nothing for it. Last service was 2012 (not that long ago), so I really don't know what I'll do with it.

Complete service by a watchmaker would be the thing to do. $$$ :(

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Did you move it a full revolution? Backwards might help I have done that before. A little oil from an oiler if you can see the 1/100th wheel?

·
Registered
931 Posts
These models have a step rotor and stator..the rotor is magnetic and tiny...maybe it picked up some debris. CAUTION....there are a million gears in there...some plastic so be careful if you take a peek .

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The day wheel is interesting how it is positioned.
Yup, gotta have a lot of room for all the hands ;)

I replaced the battery with a brand new one, gave the hand two full revolutions. No joy. :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts