The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning fellow scwf forumers, I recently made a purchase of a seiko 5 with luminous dial, it runs well, the luminous dial is good, but what I would like to know is why this particular seiko 5 have a day wheel that is operated by pushing the crown? Inspecting the see thru back the markings on the rotor says 7s26a, does the 7s26 have this feature? All of my other 7s26s have quickset day/date function but is manipulated by turning the crown, not pushing it.

Here is a photo of the watch

On the see thru case back it also has a marking saying that the watch is "water ressistant 10 bar", can this be trusted?

Thanks in advance:)

·
Special Member
6,531 Posts
I wouldn't jump to fake so quickly. It could well be a franken watch using an old 7006- or 7009- movement with a 7S26 rotor. Usually the rotors do not have the movement inscribed but being Seiko anything is possible.

Look at the bridge to see if it has the movement caliber number inscribed. If not, I agree with the fake being a real possibility.

That said, normally the rotor does not have the movement called out, but being Seiko anything is possible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry but my phone cam is really very bad, I tried looking for any other marks on the movement aside from the rotor but can't find any. I guess I got a freiko watch, anyway I am not complaining. Dial lume is good, works well and 40+ hours power reserve. Just wanted to know what movement it really has. Anyway thank you for your responses:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have another question I once read an article on spotting fake seikos and it was stated there if the clasp has both the seiko 5 and "japan" stamped on it, then this is a fake, is this always true?

Another seller is selling me a basic seiko 5 with sunbursts markers and ring with 24 hour markings on around the bezel, just like the military 10 bar 7009 seiko watch dials. Then I saw the clasp with "JAPAN" stamping on it with the seiko 5 stamping. But the watch head looks legit powered by a 7s26 movement and markings on the case back looks more at par with the originals. No water ressist 10 bar markings. Just water resistant ky. Any inputs please?

·
Special Member
6,531 Posts
I wouldn't jump to fake so quickly. It could well be a franken watch using an old 7006- or 7009- movement with a 7S26 rotor. Usually the rotors do not have the movement inscribed but being Seiko anything is possible.

Look at the bridge to see if it has the movement caliber number inscribed. If not, I agree with the fake being a real possibility.

That said, normally the rotor does not have the movement called out, but being Seiko anything is possible.
I stand corrected. Just looked at my 7S26 with exhibition back. Sure enough the rotor says a lot on it, including 7S26B So that is the way the rotors are made with the see-through backs. My bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts