The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered the original bezel for the watch.
Just did a graphic overlay...
Which do you prefer? - Aftermarket or original ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may get struck by a lightning bolt but in this instance I prefer the after market one :)
You might with that statement John
I think they both look good in their own right.
Some prefer the old, aged, rugged look .
Don't know if it looks out of place with a perfect dial !

·
Registered
494 Posts
Beat the watch up a bit more and I may like the original better, but the AM looks great :) Nice to see the differences and the 5 in 50 is surely the "tell"

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'll vote for the weathered insert.

I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the dial may not be original. The authentic dials do not say "made in Japan," or have "21 jewels" text.

I do like the 0040's, they hit the sweet spot for size.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beat the watch up a bit more and I may like the original better, but the AM looks great :) Nice to see the differences and the 5 in 50 is surely the "tell"
Yeh... I should stain the dial and beat the watch up a bit more (NOT) !
..Also the missing minute makings from 30 to 45..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'll vote for the weathered insert.

I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the dial may not be original. The authentic dials do not say "made in Japan," or have "21 jewels" text.

I do like the 0040's, they hit the sweet spot for size.
I'm always open to consider and listen to what you and other say, but your statement that 'The authentic dials do not say "made in Japan," or have "21 jewels" text',
may not be correct.

Please read/refer to the articles in the links below:

Quartzimodo
Seiko SKXJ vs. SKXJ

·
Registered
157 Posts
I stand corrected. Please know that I meant no offense.

That first article you linked clearly shows the "made in Japan" and "21 jewels" text. I had been on the prowl for one of these for a mod project a little while ago, and was confused by the two dials. I had a hard time finding one that seemed unmolested, but since it was for modding anyway, I decided to use a new Crystal Times case instead.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stand corrected. Please know that I meant no offense.

That first article you linked clearly shows the "made in Japan" and "21 jewels" text. I had been on the prowl for one of these for a mod project a little while ago, and was confused by the two dials. I had a hard time finding one that seemed unmolested, but since it was for modding anyway, I decided to use a new Crystal Times case instead.
No offense taken !
We're all here to share knowledge and I'm open to listen to comments and insights others may have. (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's a tough call on this one in my opinion. I like the more teal color of that aftermarket, but I think the blue on the original looks more natural with that dial. Although, the color could be off in the photo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts