The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

Ok so I got a new bezel insert for my 7A38-7070 from Yobokies.

Had to remove the bezel to get the old worn insert out, and now I can't get it back onto the watch, even with maximum pressure from a crystal press.

Anyone with experience sorting this out, your assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
You won't get it on with a press - not without ruining the seal anyway!

Put silicon or similar (even CRC / WD40 is good on the seal etc and slowly push the bezel on from one side to the other, feeling as the seal goes over the edge of the upper part of the case.

·
Craftsman
448 Posts
I've never had a problem getting this type of bezel onto my 7Axx watches. I use a crystal press.

Good advice to use silicon grease on the gasket. Have you cleaned the bezel? They tend to get clogged up with dirt and grunge.

While cleaning the bezel, it might be worth checking out the bezel gasket - they can go very hard with age. Be careful if you do try to remove it as they can snap.

It is possible the gasket is not fully seated in the bezel recess where it is meant to sit. Carefully inspect and if it has slipped out, guide it home. Silicon grease will help to keep it in place.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Best stick to what Seiko recommends - use silicon grease - don't use WD40 or similar, it can attack "o" rings.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bezel cleaned and silicon grease applied, gasket checked and in place.

It usually works for all my other Seikos so not sure why it didn't for this one.

The fitting is different from say, a 6309 or 7548, hoping someone has actually successfully fitted the bezel on this exact same watch.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Check the bezel is not warped from the removal as this may make the fit more difficult. Second is the gasket too hard? Does if fit without the gasket?

·
Craftsman
448 Posts
I fitted a yobokies bezel insert to one of my 7A38-7070.

before:

the bezel off:

and the bezel (top side):

and underside:

here it is now:

I've never had a problem removing / re-fitting the bezel on the 7A38-7070/80 and 7A28-7040/49.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts

It usually works for all my other Seikos so not sure why it didn't for this one.

The fitting is different from say, a 6309 or 7548, hoping someone has actually successfully fitted the bezel on this exact same watch.
Before you get to the press stage, look round the gap between bezel and case, put some finger pressure on the bezel and check the gasket isn't bulging out or otherwise misaligned.
If it is - try using a blunt(non damaging) implement to carefully push the gasket in whilst pushing/twisting on the bezel, when it's on far enough - press it on.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts

I did one for a customer last month and it went on fine but there are plenty of bezels I've struggled with too.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys

Did everything everyone suggested, gasket was slightly hardened but fit well and not bulging. Also removed the bezel with a proper tool so I was sure it wasn't warped.

But I got the bezel on at last by fitting one side of the bezel first, then pressing the other side down with a crystal press.

Not something I usually do since there is the danger of warping the bezel, most Seiko bezels I work with snap on with equal pressure on all sides.

7A38-7070 is one of the nicest of the series, along with the 7080 in PVD black.

·
Registered
912 Posts
WD40? No no no.

My only hint would be to check / change the press die you are using. You would be amazed at how using the next size up or down can make an impossible bezel become easy.
If you are using a cheap press, as I do, you might find that it is flexing at just the wrong pressure...I have often found that rotating the watch and dies whilst maintaing pressure (lifting off a little if you please) can get it snapped on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts