The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I posted about 3.5 years ago asking for help to restore my 7548-700F. Someone on the forum responded and he did a fabulous job of getting the watch working again and putting on a new band, all for @$35.

The watch is my everyday wearer and I need a new band, and possibly a service. Can anyone help me identify the person who helped me? I'd like to send the watch back to him.

Thank you.

Seiko.jpg

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mike - Is the movement malfunctioning in any way?

If it was properly serviced only a few years ago, it should be good for the next decade or so (aside from battery changes). If all it needs is a new battery and a new strap, I can help you with those (can check the gaskets too) - those are easy. Send me a message.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Tom,

Thank you for the response. I'd respond to your PM but I don't have the requisite number of posts yet to do so!

The watch is running fine so I only need a strap. How shall we proceed? will you please send me your email address?

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
You can just get a Seiko flat vent 22mm or the wave vent z22 (which you have now)
E bay, watch gecko, watch prince. Even a watch place in a local mall will be able to help you change the strap.

Just a thought.

Rob

·
Special Member
1,335 Posts
Some of the aftermarket straps are a harder rubber compound and are not super comfortable for all-day wear. If this is your daily wear watch, look for a more comfortable strap option.
I've left the classic black rubber straps behind and now use only NATO straps. Look them up on Ebay.
NATO diver's watch strap. They come in various colors. Get one with three extra metal buckles.
The watch will never fall off and the NATO makes for easy strap changes as you don't need to remove the spring bars once you take the original rubber strap off.
Price is about $15.00 US.
Mike

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mike,
If all you need is a new strap - you can pick one up on Amazon for under $20. If you just search "Seiko Z22" on amazon, your first two hits are the straight vent (which is closet to what was original to the GL381 that was original to the 7548), and the second hit is the curved vent (which is what you have on the watch now). As Rob said, any jeweler that sells watches will be able to swap it out for you (if not for free, then I can't see them charging more than $5).

As I said, I'm happy to help (email: sopwith57 at hotmail dot com), but may be quicker/easier/cheaper to grab a new strap online and have it installed locally.
-Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Tom,

Thank you for the good advice. I am going to grab a strap online and have my local watch guy install it. Maybe he'll show me how to do it so going forward I can do it myself--everyone tells me it's easy!

I bought this watch in 1980 while diving in the Caribbean, and wore it daily for the next six years until it stopped running correctly. I tried to get it serviced State-side, had no luck, and put it away until 2012. Once Mike Mounce serviced it and got it back to its original state, it's been my daily wearer. I have other high-end, automatic watches, but they don't beat the 7548-700F for dependability and durability.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dear Mike
You can easily install it yourself!!
10 seconds and not even near complicated.
The straps usually come with two fat spring bars. you push it into its holes in the strap halves then one by one you gently squeeze it into its place in the watch case (you can use a mini screwdriver to push it in correctly). good luck!

I would suggest you to keep the old spring bars (if in good condition) and the buckle... just in case you"ll need it one day.

Nimi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts