The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are the bits and pieces needed for a crystal change on these types of watches, and many others.

Crystal fixing ring. Part#86109513

Gasket pressed into the groove of the retainer with the lip at the top. Gasket part#DJ2990B04

Crystal pressed in evenly to then be pushed home by pressing the fixing ring in later.

Crystal fixing ring installed and pressed home.

Crystal sitting even and proud of the retainer.

Next is the nylon ring that provides the tension for the retainer on the case. Part#86179660

Case ready for this to be pressed home. Chapter/dial ring resting in a groove on the case. Doesn't need to be exact as to where the notch is as it can be rotated once the bezel is pressed down anyway.

Retaining ring/bezel pressed home. Bezel part#83336069

Shot of the movement inside the case.

And the rotating ring with a fresh gasket installed and pressed down. Ring part#86019632. Gasket part#0Z3524B02

Excuse the little bit of dust. I assure you it's on the outside! Took me bloody ages to get the crystal clean and free from any annoying bits and pieces.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Looks great, Guy! Uh, I hope the dead movement is not one of mine? ;)

Very informative step-by-step guide. I think this will help others in the long run!

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah erm no no definitely not no, didn't do anything wrong guvnor I swear! ;)

No this one is one I sorted a long while ago.
Yours looks just that little bit nicer as you know! ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great post.
I'm wearing my 7546-6040 right now and thinking about it, if I had these infos when i changed the glass I'd probably have avoided crashing an original replacement glass :undecided:.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Bravo!

Some interesting design choices from Seiko here. I suppose that rear-mounting the crystal into the retaining ring with a rubber gasket and then press-fitting the retaining ring into a nylon gasket in the case is sort of the same notion as the click-fit crystal retaining rings on the 6309/7548, or the screw-fit retaining ring on the 7c43/7c46 (i.e., using any retaining ring at all). Perhaps this is one design-evolution prior to the straight press-fit of the crystal directly into the case; or else in this case allowed them to use a thinner crystal (which may not have stood up to a press-fit as well). Either way, was a real head-scratcher the first time I fitted a new crystal to mine. Glad that the 7002 onward uses a simpler design.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Very helpfull thead. But we are a few years further and parts are drying up more and more. I dont see any of the DJ2990B04 gaskets for sale anymore. So what to do when these parts are not available anymore? Is it a reusable rubber one? Or a basically one time use plastic one?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’ve done quite a few Seiko crystal styles and this is one I really don’t have confidence not to mention the unobtainable parts. That being said I wonder if the gaskets are the usual high quality viton like other crystal gaskets.

Also I wonder how the bezel feels with new o ring as well. Non click bezel is my biggest complain with this 7546.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Very helpfull thead. But we are a few years further and parts are drying up more and more. I dont see any of the DJ2990B04 gaskets for sale anymore. So what to do when these parts are not available anymore? Is it a reusable rubber one? Or a basically one time use plastic one?
I couldn't even find that gasket 5-6 years ago when I did mine. Admittedly, I was new to Seiko at the time and didn't know all the places to look, but still. Mine was in okay shape, so I just lightly greased it to keep it from drying out and reused it. I don't take the watch in the pool, but perfectly workable for doing dishes, washing the car, etc...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I couldn't even find that gasket 5-6 years ago when I did mine. Admittedly, I was new to Seiko at the time and didn't know all the places to look, but still. Mine was in okay shape, so I just lightly greased it to keep it from drying out and reused it. I don't take the watch in the pool, but perfectly workable for doing dishes, washing the car, etc...
Thats good to know! I am thinking about replacing the crystal on 2 watches using the same crystal and construction. If i can reuse the gasket i think im going ahead and swap them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The nylon ring is the show stopper not the rubber gasket. I found the rubber gasket to be in good shape on mine. The nylon gasket is supposed to be one time use. I tried to reuse it but crushed it. It is not the same size after removal. Generic crystal gaskets are not quite right. I got one to hold well. I had to buy a set with multiple sizes and work up it size. The size based on measurements was too loose.

If you attempt this you need a press that can hold the dies dead square even under pressure. The die cannot tilt at all. The only dies that fit correctly were in my Seiko S-220 die set. The cheap sets did not fit at all. With good equipment it's an easy job. I'm not going to attempt it again until I get a better press.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
But you dont need to remove the crystal holding ring to remove only the crystal right? I can just only swap the crystal and not have to bother with the nylon gasket. Thanks for the responses everyone!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The nylon ring is the show stopper not the rubber gasket. I found the rubber gasket to be in good shape on mine. The nylon gasket is supposed to be one time use. I tried to reuse it but crushed it. It is not the same size after removal. Generic crystal gaskets are not quite right. I got one to hold well. I had to buy a set with multiple sizes and work up it size. The size based on measurements was too loose.

If you attempt this you need a press that can hold the dies dead square even under pressure. The die cannot tilt at all. The only dies that fit correctly were in my Seiko S-220 die set. The cheap sets did not fit at all. With good equipment it's an easy job. I'm not going to attempt it again until I get a better press.
Yep, it's tough with generics. The whole reason I got into Seiko in the first place was because my local jeweler used a generic on my 7546, which buckled and was rubbing the underside of the bezel. I asked myself, "how hard could this be to do myself?" and the odyssey began. Having said that, these nylon gaskets are scarce! At the time, I wound up buying an entire parts watch just to reuse a gasket. That's in no way ideal, but luckily I was able to ease it into the cased without issue and it's still holding well

But you dont need to remove the crystal holding ring to remove only the crystal right? I can just only swap the crystal and not have to bother with the nylon gasket. Thanks for the responses everyone!
Unfortunately you do :( The crystal seats into the rubber gasket from the underside of the metal retaining ring. That metal ring with the crystal/gasket then presses into the case (via nylon gasket). This then sandwiches the crystal between the rubber-gasket/metal-retaining-ring assembly from the top, and the chapter-ring/case-edge-face from the bottom (which puts upward pressure on the crystal, holding it against the rubber gasket). So, a decent amount of friction from the nylon crush gasket is important to ensure that the "sandwich" stays tight.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The crystal seats into the rubber gasket from the underside of the metal retaining ring.
That part i dont really understand yet. Why is that?

This looks to me like the only logical way. Like with any crystal you press it onto the ring from above.

If you'd put a perfectly sized die on the crystal retaining ring you should be able to press the crystal out from underneath while keeping the crystal retaining ring seated in its gasket. As i said, i dont understand it yet.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
FYI for those that can't find original parts theses work

Glass crystal for 7546-6040 etc is 300WB0GN00 but I found that Sternkreuz XMF 300.863, Seiko 300W96GN is a good replacement.

Also 32.8x32.0mm, Cousins I Gasket IG328320C2 is a close fit for the white bezel gasket not perfect but good enough.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
That part i dont really understand yet. Why is that?

This looks to me like the only logical way. Like with any crystal you press it onto the ring from above.

View attachment 453581

If you'd put a perfectly sized die on the crystal retaining ring you should be able to press the crystal out from underneath while keeping the crystal retaining ring seated in its gasket. As i said, i dont understand it yet.

Couldn't say why it is, other than Seiko saw some reason to design it that way. The image you're showing is the top side - the crystal has already been installed into the rubber gasket from the underside, so the rubber gasket seals between the crystal and the retaining ring. The crystal is larger than the ring, so if you try to push out the crustal through the front with a press, the retaining ring is going to come with it as one unit, unseating from the nylon gasket.

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
Tom is correct, there is a lip on the inner top edge of the bezel that extends into the diameter of the crystal. There is no way you can push the crystal upward without destroying the bezel or crystal, and no way you can install a new crystal down into the bezel from the top. The bezel/crystal assembly has to be removed from the case before the crystal can be separated from the bezel. Refer to the pages on “screw-20” and “snap-4” to see a better view of what is involved with servicing these crystals:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts