The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Seiko source had this May 1971 ref. 7017-6040 in the case today. I saw the Wrist Sushi write up on it (Seiko 7017-6040 :a very rare flyback | Wrist Sushi - A Japanese Watch Forum) but little else. Wondering about the dial marking at the bottom; I saw another example online with the -6050R, and the degradation of the lume suggest it is at least aged appropriately. It is obviously in rough condition, but all functions worked correctly in my short fondling. What say you all as to its rarity/desirability?
What if I told you is was pretty cheap..?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I’m a fan of the 7017 series. The Chrono mechanism is a bit fiddly (ask Adrian at VTA). So if it needs a service, and I’m sure it does, you have to price that into the watch.

Your watch shows some moisture incursion via the darkening of the lume. You also have some degradation to the paint on the inner rotating ring. This is fairly common. But the moisture issue is a concern. Can you open up the back?

I can’t find the one with the Arabic’s on eBay in the US at all. It’s not in the photo of the forum post you linked. This is probably a JDM model which is pretty cool.

Here is my -6020. There is a version of this (or the -6050) with a silver dial that I’m looking for. Hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The 7017 Chronos are great watches but they are hard to find parts for. Is the one you are looking at a runner? If it is not running, I would be hesitant to buy. Otherwise, looks like a decent restoration candidate. Some fading on the inner bezel.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worth it for $135usd? It's running and functioning, didn't put it on a timegrapher, though.
I'll go back and have a look at the movement and press the pushers a few more times.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
For that price, yes as long as the movement doesn’t have any major issues like water incursion. Make sure the flyback function works too. You might have a good one here.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Speaking of 7017s and Adrian from VTA. I have a 6010 with him right now. Its a proof/proof , has had major moisture damage ,even a pusher tube had totally corroded out'. He's going to do a full restoration on it. Not cheap , but I thought I'd throw some coin at this one. I've read that the movement can be quiet tricky to work on . Plus he's going to give the dial a once over and new crystal. Will post the result photos once I get it returned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Speaking of 7017s and Adrian from VTA. I have a 6010 with him right now. Its a proof/proof , has had major moisture damage ,even a pusher tube had totally corroded out'. He's going to do a full restoration on it. Not cheap , but I thought I'd throw some coin at this one. I've read that the movement can be quiet tricky to work on . Plus he's going to give the dial a once over and new crystal. Will post the result photos once I get it returned.
Adrian does some phenomenal work. I am sure your 6010 will come out like new.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
That dial is fantastic! Yes, please keep us appraised as to its progress

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
those -6010 dial are the less common ones to find. A worthy restoration effort for sure.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I have been a big 7107 fan and prices are still low. It hasn't been discovered as have the 6139, etc. GREAT watches, one and all. I leave the seconds hand running because all you have to do to time something is push the reset button no reason to keep it at the ready at 12 o'clock. I do the opposite on my Valjoux 7750 and all my 6139s. On those I keep the chrono turned off because I like them 'standing at attention' and all that business about preserving the chrono wheel yada yada yada yes I am willing to buy it matters some but running them ruins my enjoyment.

Maybe I can grab a photo of my meager 3 examples of 7017s and post here. They are just great vintage Seikos and so underappreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Here are 4/5 on my 7017 Speed-Timers.
Top: -6020 & -6010
Bottom: -6030 & -6040
My -8000 is out for a tune-up

Couldn't agree more with you Jon - those of us that know, know these are great watches and have a cool rally vibe to them. And I always leave mine running too ...

IMG_5057.jpg

·
Registered
968 Posts
Here are 4/5 on my 7017 Speed-Timers.
Top: -6020 & -6010
Bottom: -6030 & -6040
My -8000 is out for a tune-up

Couldn't agree more with you Jon - those of us that know, know these are great watches and have a cool rally vibe to them. And I always leave mine running too ...

View attachment 446265
Very very sweet watches you have there.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
thanks Guys ... they're keepers and fun to wear!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Oh wow, fantastic 7017s. I have the -6020. I’m looking for the silver faced version of it. And there is a good looking yellow dial one on our favorite auction site with a BIN that seems to be a little high.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
thanks Guys ... they're keepers and fun to wear!
Mike mine can't quite keep up with yours but happy to share with a fellow appreciator !

All 3 feature rotating ring inner bezels. To me that adds to the attraction. You can time the minutes with the inner ring and the seconds with the obvious stop watch part so really it's like a subdial counter capable, just as was Seiko's first chronograph the 5717-8990 etc.

Left to Right:
7017-6010 (larger than a Pogue) on an NOS but not correct to the model bracelet (Mike aka mwadner's above has the correct HTF bracelet)
7017-6040 Blue Dial version, on original XGA151 SpeedTimer Bracelet
7017-6050 Mongrel. That's an unbelievably exceptional case and original tachymeter ring (so good it looks like an AM but it's not - what an irony there!) with the dial and hands from a brown dialed -6040 on a vintage Seiko bracelet but not correct to the -6050. Note the dial does not have the secret code markings in its outer edge to match up to any of the cryptic marking on the inner rotating ring
group of 3.jpeg
7107-6010.jpeg
7017-6040 Blue Dial XGA151.jpeg
7017-6050 Mongrel.jpeg

May I add a really nice feature of the new forum software platform is that these tall and narrow photo are no longer auto-rotated which was always so frustrating !

(y):)

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Mike mine can't quite keep up with yours but happy to share with a fellow appreciator !

All 3 feature rotating ring inner bezels. To me that adds to the attraction. You can time the minutes with the inner ring and the seconds with the obvious stop watch part so really it's like a subdial counter capable, just as was Seiko's first chronograph the 5717-8990 etc.

Left to Right:
7017-6010 (larger than a Pogue) on an NOS but not correct to the model bracelet (Mike aka mwadner's above has the correct HTF bracelet)
7017-6040 Blue Dial version, on original XGA151 SpeedTimer Bracelet
7017-6050 Mongrel. That's an unbelievably exceptional case and original tachymeter ring (so good it looks like an AM but it's not - what an irony there!) with the dial and hands from a brown dialed -6040 on a vintage Seiko bracelet but not correct to the -6050. Note the dial does not have the secret code markings in its outer edge to match up to any of the cryptic marking on the inner rotating ring
View attachment 446276 View attachment 446277 View attachment 446278 View attachment 446279

May I add a really nice feature of the new forum software platform is that these tall and narrow photo are no longer auto-rotated which was always so frustrating !

(y):)
Bravo Jon - your blue dial -6040 is splendid. To me anything with that inner rotating bezel gets bonus points. Original bracelets for these are tough to find but show up ocassionally.

thanks for sharing - never tire of seeing your watches!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Oh wow, fantastic 7017s. I have the -6020. I’m looking for the silver faced version of it. And there is a good looking yellow dial one on our favorite auction site with a BIN that seems to be a little high.

How high is high?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! Great examples. Now I'm not so sure I should get into the one I found as it is a bit rough. I'll give it the twice over in a few days and decide.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts