The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this watch for sale on eBay. Haven't seen a square chrono before and thought id share. I'm interested in its history and your comments.
Cam

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Its a pretty interesting read, would this have been one of the last chrono calibres. I might have to keep an eye on this one.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes that's nice. I think a few people here will be watching that one ;)
The monaco is one of my favourites and one watch that is definitely sticking in my collection.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You have tons of different dials / hands colors.
Look at a gallery before making your choice :)
I like the classic rally (white / red / blue), the anthracite and this blue model.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That one would worry me if it's the one I think it is in Australia. First off some of the worst condition watches I've ever seen come out of Australia! It must be a harsh enviroment for watches. You can see some sun fading on the hands. Secondly the bloke has some harsh feedbacks and to quote just one 'worst ebayer in ebay history.item not decribed wrong year,liar thief dud,thief'. He's said he's not taken the back off but hmmm he's taken the backs off others so why not this one? Hmmmm some thing not right in toy town me thinks! I could be wrong but in my experience unless you plan on fixing a watch up yourself I'd go for a nice condition one from someone who has a good rep in the first place. I can recommend someone too you but pm me as I'd probably make him blush as he's already made a comment on this thread ;)

Bit of interesting history about that cal of movement. It was the worlds thinnest automatic chronograph for a few years. I think between 1974 & 1987? Here's my 7016-8000 same movement diff case :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your insight Clock bloke. I saw his feedback % and figured he was pretty good. I was a little bit dubious as his posted charge is not what you would expect to pay for a domestic delivery. I live in Australia.
I wonder if they are located elsewhere and uses an Australian shipping address.
I will definitely research this movement as I am looking to add a chronograph to my collection.
I have a victorinox valjoux and I thought that would satisfy my automatic chronograph but there is something about Seikos simplicity that I would love to own.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks for your insight Clock bloke. I saw his feedback % and figured he was pretty good. I was a little bit dubious as his posted charge is not what you would expect to pay for a domestic delivery. I live in Australia.
I wonder if they are located elsewhere and uses an Australian shipping address.
I will definitely research this movement as I am looking to add a chronograph to my collection.
I have a victorinox valjoux and I thought that would satisfy my automatic chronograph but there is something about Seikos simplicity that I would love to own.
In the words of Tony The Tiger .... Theeerrrrreee greeeeaaat! Mind you what a watch you already own! Had a look at them but don't fancy selling my car to own a watch!

This is one of my favourites :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That one would worry me if it's the one I think it is in Australia. First off some of the worst condition watches I've ever seen come out of Australia! It must be a harsh enviroment for watches.

I don't know what your talking about. Watches receive the upmost care and respect here in Australia! Check out this lorus 200m diver I picked up, near mint beater!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know what the going rate for something like this is but it's sitting close to $230 USD.
I think I like the speed timer red and black 6138-0110 or whatever that one is.

·
Registered
626 Posts

mine says hello .. this is a much rarer model than the 7016 monaco .. it's a 7018-5000. The case is different and it's a 7018 which is similar to the 7016 but lacks the hours counter.

I'm trying to find a crystal for this one but apparently it's not easy!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

mine says hello .. this is a much rarer model than the 7016 monaco .. it's a 7018-5000. The case is different and it's a 7018 which is similar to the 7016 but lacks the hours counter.

I'm trying to find a crystal for this one but apparently it's not easy!
Nice isn't the 7018 the high beat movement? :cool:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nice isn't the 7018 the high beat movement? :cool:
no, it's essentially the same as a 7016 but without the hours counter .. the 7018-5000 is totally different to the 7016-5000 .. the dial is similar but case is different & I think the dial colour combination was never available on a 7016.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Nice well I've only ever seen one other and that was for sale on that online auction website earlier this years. That definitely qualifies as a scarce model. Congrats!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's done. I've taken a gamble and won an auction on a chrono. Decided not to go the Monaco for its price and the description.
Got this one instead for 1/6 of its current price.
Will see how it goes.

Advertised as running.
6139-8030.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's done. I've taken a gamble and won an auction on a chrono. Decided not to go the Monaco for its price and the description.
Got this one instead for 1/6 of its current price.
Will see how it goes.
Advertised as running.
6139-8030.
Congrats and welcome to the addiction sector! Book up with a shrink right now to save time having to wait!!!

It all looks original from what I can see ;) Don't know about the strap. The crystal can always be polished if the scratches bug you and are not too deep or cracks. Easily to do just time consuming to do it properly. Thickman808 my guru and some think I am his long lost mother as I praise him so much done a nice little guide.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/63914-crystal-polishing-my-way.html

enjoy!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I've already seen a new glass on eBay- quite possibly a crack.
Is it acrylic or hardened glass?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks. I've already seen a new glass on eBay- quite possibly a crack.
Is it acrylic or hardened glass?
Don't know that model but could be either being Seiko. The glass is called Hardex and does scratch but can be polished out. Give Stefan a pm he goes by seikochrono on this forum. He's the 4th emergency service as far as I am concerned and I bet he wears his underpants over his trousers too.

Tony

1 - 20 of 30 Posts