The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the automatic chronograph movements developed by Seiko in the 60s and 70s, I've found the 7016 to be the most intriguing (and underrrated). The shared minute/hour register with overlapping hands is truly original, and the flyback feature is pretty nifty. I remember reading that the 7016 caliber was the thinnest automatic chronograph movement in its day, and held that distinction until mid-80s. Most of the 7016 models come in rectangular cases, and are nicknamed 'Monaco' due to their similarity to the famed Heuer Monaco.

I'd been looking for a 7016 in good shape for a while, and tracked one down on eBay a few months back. It had a badly scratched-up crystal and the case was well worn, but the watch was all original (including the bracelet), built in '83 and in good working condition. Here are some 'before pictures:

I spent a few weeks gathering a replacement crystal (I was able to locate a NOS one) and gaskets, then contacted Jonathan Koch (aka swedefreak) about restoring the case and the bracelet. After he was done Jonathan forwarded the watch to Lew Brown, who serviced the movement. After a few short weeks, I have the watch back, and it is in impeccable condition:

[img]http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/mfrmn/Seiko%207016-5001/IMG_2682.jpg

Many thanks to Jonathan and Lew for doing such a great job on the watch; they are true gentlemen and a real pleasure to deal with. I'm now one step closer to having a representative of every automatic chronograph movement Seiko produced in the 60s and 70s in my collection (anyone have a spare 7017 or 7018?).

Mufit

·
Registered
416 Posts
Great looking watch and lovely transformation that the boys achieved for you.
In particular the case finish that Jonathon achieved is top shelf. The grain and finish look factory fresh.
Congratulations on a great looking timepiece.................enjoy...............

·
Administrator
30,102 Posts
What a great result, i have always liked those and the Monaco nick name always made them sound that little bit special to me.

I really enjoy the before and after shots, Lew, Jonathan and The Bay really came good for you there, enjoy.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Fantastic, congratulations!

What a change!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, im new to this forum stuff but i really need some help??. 2 weeks ago i was given my late fathers watch by my seriously ill mother(its a seiko 7016-5001 Automatic), my late father worn this watch everyday from there 5th wedding anniversary till he sadly past away 31 years ago. The watch means more to me than obviously its cost value and i'm desperate to get it back to its former glory to show my mother. At the moment the watch only runs when you hold in the top button. A local jeweller tried to get this watch fixed and restored for me(i asked him to get it running,service it as its over 60 years old,and fit a new crystal face), but today he contacted me to say that they cannot source some of the parts mainly an internal spring so can't do the job. Im hoping you guys can help?... The watch im trying to restore is the same as the first one on this thread.... Need UK options please as i cant face shipping my dads old time piece abroad to someone i don't know... Cheers karl.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Hi Karl, Welcome to the forum!
Check with Stefan aka Seikochrono here on the forum. He is located in the UK and has many nos Seiko parts available. You can PM (personal message) him and he'll get back to you.
Good luck with your very special watch!

Tom

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
The watch is not quite 60 years old. If you look at the back and read the first digit of the 6-digit number, it tells you when it was made. Should be somewhere between 1971-1978
And it's a very nice watch. I hope you can get it fixed soon.

Good luck to you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts