The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the relevant SEIKO document, I understand that to set the hour/minute hands (ie the time), just pull out the crown to the 2nd stop, and the second hand will stop rotating. You can set the exact time.
When I pull out to the 2nd stop, the second hand CONTINUES rotating. What can I do to remedy this?

·
Registered
236 Posts
There is no specific hacking lever on this movement but if you pull out the crown to the second position and supply some reverse pressure (as if you were turning the hands anti-clockwise) but don't apply enough pressure to actually turn the hands backward then it is often possible to stop the second hand and then shake the watch to restart it when real time matches that on the watch.
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
There is no specific hacking lever on this movement but if you pull out the crown to the second position and supply some reverse pressure (as if you were turning the hands anti-clockwise) but don't apply enough pressure to actually turn the hands backward then it is often possible to stop the second hand and then shake the watch to restart it when real time matches that on the watch.
Chris
By pulling the crown out to its second position you are engaging the clutch with the cannon pinion via the minute wheel. If there is sufficient friction between the cannon pinion and the center wheel the movement will stop when applying a slight force to the crown in one direction. If their is some wear between the cannon pinion and the center wheel, the movement may not stop due to slippage between the CP & center wheel, it rather depends on the condition of the movement.
Once the clutch is disengaged (you push the crown back in), the movement, if its in a good state should start again by itself without the aid of shaking it.

Im a tinkerer not an expert, please feel free to correct me if ive got that wrong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all of you. Quite right, and it works.
The quartz movements in the watches I have, do in fact all have a hacking lever, and the problem doesn't occur there.

·
Special Member
7,232 Posts
Thanks all of you. Quite right, and it works.
The quartz movements in the watches I have, do in fact all have a hacking lever, and the problem doesn't occur there.
Not sure if the quartzes have hacking levers or if it's just that pulling out the crown stops the flow of juice to the movement.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I don't think the 7009 was designed to be a high end super accurate movement. Spending money to add a hacking feature to a watch that was only designed to be accurate within roughly 20 seconds a day does not make much sense. I runs its dependable and it was affordable.

Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts