The Watch Site banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker. Figured it's time to contribute and interact a bit. I picked up a 7002-700A (4Nxxxx) on eBay for a decent price. I took a shot because it looked decent but I was pretty sure it had aftermarket/incorrect parts fitted. It's always hard to tell in photos and sellers generally aren't much help. After seeing it in person I'm pretty sure the dial and hands are aftermarket. What do some of the more knowledgeable folks think?

1. Is the dial aftermarket? The dial appears almost a dark blue (but hard to tell) which from the guide doesn't sound correct. Did the 7002 dials ever come in blue? And the lume appears a little greenish under a loupe. The lume on the dial appears textured by I don't really feel it has the linen look.
2. Are the hands aftermarket?
3. Anything else that appears incorrect? I think the case, bezel and insert appear correct as far as I can tell.
4. In the listing the seller had noted that the movement was a 7009, which would be incorrect as far as I know. I haven't opened it up to verify yet though but when I rotate the crown in the first position it does feel like it's changing the hidden day so it probably is a 7009 movement. What are the major differences between a 7002 and 7009, besides the day complication?

Just trying to figure out what I got and see how to proceed so any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
The dials on the 700a did come in a Midnight Blue, and it looks like it is a genuine dial, can't be sure about the hands. If they glow brightly for any length of time they are probably AM
I'd be happy with it , and it's in very nice condition.
4N so it would be Dec 94, which should have a plain unmarked movement with the markings only on the rotor, quite possible the rotor has been changed for one from a later 7009
7009 is the day and date version of the 7002, almost no difference except the addition of the day wheel and the day quickset parts.
You have to push the crown in on a 7009 to quickset the day, so it's not the day wheel your feeling by turning the crown.more like the date wheel kicking backwards.
If its running OK I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hands are legit . They have that same screen print look to them like the dial lume . My 7002-7009 and 700j hands light up more so than the dial lume . It’s normal

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
What Ivor said.
I'd say you have a really nice example, case lines looks sharp, insert looks correct/original as well. In my experience, 7002's are not easy to find in original condition, they're usually full of mods and polished up.

Here's my all original 7002's ('89 7002-7009 and '88 7002-700A on the right) for reference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information and responses. Super helpful and sounds like my initial concerns are unfounded. It's looking like I scored a pretty good deal with this one. I've got a case back opener coming so I'll post up some pics of the movement to see what is going on in there.

·
Special Member
1,188 Posts
I was expecting it would've fetched more in that auction, I'm curious to see if the movement is indeed swapped to a 7009a.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, it looks like the rotor says “Seiko Time Corp 7009A” “Seventeen Jewels”. The rest of the movement I would not know what to look for. Here’s a few pics though. Not sure why someone took a black marker to it.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
You will only know what the movement it is by taking the dial off and looking at the dial side of the mainplate.
The 7009 has a threaded tube for the day quick set and a rivet for the stem return spring, the 7002 has neither the tube or the rivet, that is the only difference and IMOP not worth worrying about.
It's a later type movement which is correct for your 7002,
Put the correct rotor on if it bothers you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You will only know what the movement it is by taking the dial off and looking at the dial side of the mainplate.
The 7009 has a threaded tube for the day quick set and a rivet for the stem return spring, the 7002 has neither the tube or the rivet, that is the only difference and IMOP not worth worrying about.
It's a later type movement which is correct for your 7002,
Put the correct rotor on if it bothers you
Thanks a lot for the info. It doesn’t necessarily bother me but if I did want to swap the rotor is that a relatively simple thing to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info. It doesn’t necessarily bother me but if I did want to swap the rotor is that a relatively simple thing to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A fairly easy job depending on your skill set.
Simply undo the the center screw and lift the rotor off. To refit you will need to align the first reduction wheel and place the rotor in the correct position.
The info is here

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
While the rotor is off remove the ratchet wheel too (left handed thread) and lube it's post with appropriate grease and refit. These often wear so good to help slow the process. Lube the rotor balls too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the 7002 is an under-rated classic. Most of them on the bay have been modified. Hard to find them relative intact. In a few years, you'll be glad you bought it when you did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts