The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Does anyone know how to remove the back of my Seiko 6m25 watch so I can change the battery please?

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Hello, a brief introduction would be nice before you get into the questions.
Also can you give the other numbers from the back of your watch eg 6m25-6000, to help us to help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very sorry for launching into questions without intro. I'm a retired engineer living in London. My wife bought me the watch in about 1996 (rough guess), and although it's old I'm very fond of it. I ordered a new battery online, but can't get the back off.

The numbers on the back are 6M25-0010 and in a square box, R1
JAPAN M

Hope this helps

Very grateful any advice or help

John

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Does your case back look similar to this one? (Pic from RLT forum)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Hi and welcome, looks like you will need one of these tools to remove it, has it got a small lip/cutout in one area around the circumference ?

Cut out usually found near to the lugs on the case. Battery is SR927W

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, thank you.
It hasn't got any cut outs...the periphery is uniform all the way round the circumference. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to lever the back off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I can't see one. Nor can I feel one with a 0.9mm flat head precision screwdriver running round the circumference.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You may need to clean it a little with alcohol on a qtip.

I use a utility blade to work slowly and gently around the circumference of the caseback.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
And use strong light with some type of magnification!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, just my 2 cents: on these ones the caseback is very tight, the cut out very small (without the right tool you could easily scratch the caseback), and when you'll succeed to open it, you'll find the battery maintained by a small metal piece very prompt to jump anywhere when you unscrew the 2 extremely tiny screws :(
Putting back all thing together after the battery change is quite challenging, and you'll probably need a press for the caseback...
Believe my recent (in)experience: you'd better bring this one to a watchmaker IMHO... ;)

Cheers,
Mathieu

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
As others have said - use some good light and magnification to fine the chamfered recess.
As my_left_wrist said - use a utility knife. The other tool above isn't sharp enough to get in the cut out to prise it off.

Good luck and watch you don't cut your hand with the knife.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Can we see the front? All my 6m25s have a screwdown back.

Sure someone else mentioned but the pry tool should be sharp. I like to have the angle of the knife facing downwith the flat part facing up.

Btw the 6m25 is my favorite quartz movement...see first request above. Would love to see it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just about to give up, but our friendly builder Jimmy easily removed the back with a Stanley/craft knife. I was able to loosen the tiny screws holding the batter strap and change the battery. Got the hands all zeroed nicely following Seiko manual instructions (much better than jewellers did it last time without instructions). Got the back on easily and it is now working perfectly.

Sorry I didn't see the request for a photo of the mechanism before I put the back on.

Thank you all for your very kind help and advice.

John

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Just about to give up, but our friendly builder Jimmy easily removed the back with a Stanley/craft knife. I was able to loosen the tiny screws holding the batter strap and change the battery. Got the hands all zeroed nicely following Seiko manual instructions (much better than jewellers did it last time without instructions). Got the back on easily and it is now working perfectly.

Sorry I didn't see the request for a photo of the mechanism before I put the back on.

John

Good job:)
I knew a sharp knife was needed.

·
Registered
546 Posts

John
I meant can we see the face?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts