The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst I’m waiting for some elusive parts for another few Seiko I’ve decided to get a 6602-8030 back in working order. The movement has cleaned up well and is all back together throwing out reasonable numbers, but now my attention is back to the dial now.

Looks like someone has hit it with a hammer! Have now flattened it and silvered it ready for lettering.

I appear to missing a dial ring, or chapter ring. However, the crystal appears not to be an armoured one, so unsure how the dial ring Will be retained

Does anyone have info on the missing part?

Dial ring has to fit in the 30.00 mm OD recess, but clear the dial markers at 27.5mm OD. Height will be approx 1.2mm

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finished the watch.

Found a tension ring from an old crystal that was slimmed down to snap into the case. Dial was stripped, flattened, silvered and printed. Gone from a black dial to silver - but I can’t replicate black dials - yet

The watch has no replacement parts - all of the existing parts have been reused

Not perfect, but wearable once again after 52 years

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just experimenting with dial printing using an 'offset' process.

Basic process is to strip and clean the existing dial back to brass. Then need to put a grain on the dial - I'm putting an axial finish using a lathe - produced a sunburst effect. Then re-silver the dial. Have had lots of partial successes with that, but I think I've cracked it now.

Next step is to laser print a reverse image onto decal paper - just cheap print-your-own model decal stuff.

I use Inkscape to generate a SVG file. Start with a base layer containing an image of the original dial - but corrected for roundness. Add a layer with indices, Seiko Logo, Waterproof text etc etc. Finally, hide the base layer and print reversed to the correct scale. Need to print at 1200 dpi or better.

Soak decal and apply to dial with plentry of water then squeegee it. It's useful to print a centre mark and all of the dial indices in order to line up with the applied index holes. Surplus printing can be easily removed.

Then pop in the oven for a period. Too short a time and it won't work - but too long is also problematic. I've found that 25min at 100 degress is about right. After it's cooled, gently peel off the decal paper and the toner 'should' have bonded with the dial surface and be left behind intact.

It will either be successful or a total failure. Toner can be easily removed with acetone in order to have another go.

Finally laquer dial (not acylic) to seal it all. Again, some laquers will eat into the toner, some will not.

Rgrds
C

Attachments

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Fantastic work on the dial, skills!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts