The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m brand new to this forum. I stumbled upon The Watch Site while researching Seiko 6309 7290 dials. I picked a 7290 and wanted to see if the dial was original or aftermarket.

I initially thought the dial was original as it appears to have the correct 12:00 markers - triangles come to a point and the lume stops about 2/3 down. The lume colour appears to be correct, and barely illuminates - unlike the aftermarket hands and bezel. But then I saw that the spacing between 7 and 35M, it appears a bit wider than OEM. And lastly, the date window has a slight bevel - which most people agree that the 7040 was beveled not the 7290. I’ve found 1 other 6309 7290 online with the same dial and claims it is all original but they could be wrong.

What do you think? Aftermarket dial?

FA229056-2553-48D3-92A9-E1042332C3C9.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am not very familiar with this model, so I could be wrong. But "Seiko" seems to be to bold and sloppy to be original. It's supposed to look crisper than that. Also the "automatic" is not as centered as it should be. It stretches out a bit more than I am used to see in original dials.

Edit:
The attached picture is of what I'm pretty sure is an original dial. You can see that "automatic" is more centered, and "Seiko" is more sharp/crisp.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I’m brand new to this forum. I stumbled upon The Watch Site while researching Seiko 6309 7290 dials. I picked a 7290 and wanted to see if the dial was original or aftermarket.

I initially thought the dial was original as it appears to have the correct 12:00 markers - triangles come to a point and the lume stops about 2/3 down. The lume colour appears to be correct, and barely illuminates - unlike the aftermarket hands and bezel. But then I saw that the spacing between 7 and 35M, it appears a bit wider than OEM. And lastly, the date window has a slight bevel - which most people agree that the 7040 was beveled not the 7290. I’ve found 1 other 6309 7290 online with the same dial and claims it is all original but they could be wrong.

What do you think? Aftermarket dial?

View attachment 449420
From what I see in your pictures, the dial, hands, and bezel insert are all AM.

Good resource for you here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That really helps. Mine is definitely an AM dial. Looks like the search is on for OEM parts.

Any thoughts on using a SKX173 dial? I’m assuming it would have to be modded to sit flush on the 6309.

Updated the title of the thread to AM instead of AF - not sure where why I used AF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts