The Watch Site banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25,702 Posts
For myself, That watch has been refurbished if you will. It's a nice watch. Wear the hell out of it.

Reactions: Jayv007

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 6309-7040 has been restored and has a non-original dial and bezel insert (Zimbe style). I love it, but I thought I'd get a "new" turtle in the original style as a daily wear. I purchased an SRP777, the basic black model. It looks fantastic and keeps great time (-.75 sec/day). But it doesn't feel anywhere as nice as the original. They made the case too large - it's quite a bit larger in multiple dimensions than the 6309-704x. Even on my large wrist, it wears noticeably less well than a 6309.

I'm going to get a restored one like yours instead, and get rid of the new turtle I think. So IMHO, wear that one happily! Whether how much of it it's original or not, it's still a fabulous design and has not been improved upon in 40 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I totally agree. Like you I fancied the SRP777 but then bought the SRPA21 Pepsi version instead. It's lovely but just that bit bigger and doesn't quite feel the same as the originals. However, a splash of blue in summer is a nice change! s-l1600 (1).jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Eactly! I agree.

I am really drawn to the PADI/SRPA21 and I may get one and see if I can live with the larger case. My "excuse" is that my step-son graduates from high school next year; I will gift him the 777 on that occasion. Thus, i deserve a PADI, correct? ;) And if I don't do that, my back-up plan is to make a PADI copy on a 6309 case. I have a Quartz 7546 movement I can drop in to power it (the newer movements won't drop in to the 6309 case, unfortunately - takes some serious work to get them in) should I find a blank case or one with a troubled movement.

Yes, I really do like the blue/Pepsi. It's just such a classic look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lovely watch, merv1n (y)

I’m no expert but the dial is genuine. There are basically 3 things I look for in the early 6309 Suwa dials, with the first 2 commonly known & discussed in forums :
1. the day-date window has a beveled frame - aftermarket dials don’t have this bevel
2. the Suwa logo is centered below the 5 and 0 in “150m” - on aftermarket dials, it is slightly to the right towards the 0
3. the A’s in “JAPAN” have a flat top - aftermarket dials have pointed A’s

Hope this helps. Enjoy the watch !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Lovely watch, merv1n (y)

I’m no expert but the dial is genuine. There are basically 3 things I look for in the early 6309 Suwa dials, with the first 2 commonly known & discussed in forums :
1. the day-date window has a beveled frame - aftermarket dials don’t have this bevel
2. the Suwa logo is centered below the 5 and 0 in “150m” - on aftermarket dials, it is slightly to the right towards the 0
3. the A’s in “JAPAN” have a flat top - aftermarket dials have pointed A’s

Hope this helps. Enjoy the watch !
Thanks for that . I was aware of 1 & 2 but not 3! So it looks like the dial could be original, still not sure about the bezel insert and hands. There's a feint lume that appears evenly with the hands and it dies quite quickly. Thanks for the feedback guys - any more is most welcome.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks for that . I was aware of 1 & 2 but not 3! So it looks like the dial could be original, still not sure about the bezel insert and hands. There's a feint lume that appears evenly with the hands and it dies quite quickly. Thanks for the feedback guys - any more is most welcome.
Hi all, new to the site and fallen in love with 6309's. I've recently acquired this one and would appreciate your comments.
View attachment 448889

I've been following your thread and have looked a number of times at your picture.

Some of the finer detail can only be picked up with really sharp pictures so providing a few extra shots may give some more insight into your watch.

Regarding the bezel insert I have found that on the period correct ones the black has a very fine dimpled matte appearance as where on later inserts like a 7002 it's a smooth glossy black.

Not sure about the Yobokies insert as I've never held one in my hand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I've been following your thread and have looked a number of times at your picture.

Some of the finer detail can only be picked up with really sharp pictures so providing a few extra shots may give some more insight into your watch.

Regarding the bezel insert I have found that on the period correct ones the black has a very fine dimpled matte appearance as where on later inserts like a 7002 it's a smooth glossy black.

Not sure about the Yobokies insert as I've never held one in my hand.
Here's a closeup of the watch and also an original insert I own. The one on the watch is definitely not glossy, more matt. However, the five minute markers between the numbers on the original seem thicker to me as, perhaps, does the font. Although, what I thought was my 'original' could be a fake!
bezel closeup.jpg
other genuine insert.jpg

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Left is Harold's, both look great. I wouldn't actually be surprised if both were legit.
Really blurs the line when they get so good.

Rob

·
Registered
638 Posts
Here's a closeup of the watch and also an original insert I own. The one on the watch is definitely not glossy, more matt. However, the five minute markers between the numbers on the original seem thicker to me as, perhaps, does the font. Although, what I thought was my 'original' could be a fake!
View attachment 449318 View attachment 449319
Thanks for the extra pictures.

The bezel on the watch looks correct to me.
The five minute markers look the correct size and the shape of the "zero" looks correct when I reference it back to my own.

I'm not sure what reference the second bezel you show comes from or whether its genuine.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Which one is Harolds ?
I would say the first picture is Harold's. The second picture is OEM

The width of the triangle where it folds over the edge of the bezel insert looks wider in the second picture which is what I see on my own bezels.

The lume pip on mine also is fairly flat and fills out most of the hole in the bezel, rather than having a more rounded appearance as in the first picture.

·
Registered
638 Posts
??? Which one ?
Great close up pictures!

The first picture looks OEM. The second picture looks like Harold's

Based on the shape of the "zero" I see on my own which appears to be a slightly squashed shape as where in the second picture the "zero" appears more rounded.

Either way Harold's inserts are pretty good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm a little confused now. I'm pretty sure my second picture is off an original 6309 - 7040.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beautiful! Your watch looks like it was a left in a drawer for most of its life and preserved well. I recently picked up a 6306 from 1977 and love it. Ive been looking at other vintage seiko divers as well, I think my addiction is getting really bad.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts