The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help seiko experts.
Just bought an old seiko 6309 7040 turtle.
Suwa dial but serial number in case back states year as 1981. I thought Suwa dials were only until 1980...?
The biggest issue though, is that there's no numbering 704 LT between indices 5-6.
Only Japan 6309 between indices 6-7. All indices and hands greenish brown from what appears to be water damage. Water resist in rusty brownish letters.
Never seen a 6309 7040 dial without the 704 Lt. Not even aftermarket.
Any expert feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Photos later

·
Special Member
27,775 Posts
Well, It looks like the text has been rubbed off, Probably water damage at one point. The Suwa dating can be a bit of a crap shoot Knowing Seiko and there production abnormalities.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping that could be the case, but it just doesn't really show anything at all...
Wouldn't there also be erasure elsewhere?
Thing is I've not seen ANY other dials like this, not even aftermarket.
Date window is bevelled too so looks more or ok...and 6 indice well above Japan 6309

Yes, the suwa dating seems tricky...
Sometimes I've read suwa dials were up until 1981 which could correspond with serial number.
Well, thanks alot DAHASCO for your feedback.
Much appreciated

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello squamish.
Thanks for your reply.
Can you be more specific please?
I mean, do you also suppose the missing 704 Lt is from water damage?
It just doesn't seem possible there's no trace of the numbering and letters.
I don't know...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Vincentg

Why am I still not convinced though?
Am i blind that I don't see any damage?
Just a little dirt-dust on the very edge of the rim

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello squamish.
Thanks for your reply.
Can you be more specific please?
I mean, do you also suppose the missing 704 Lt is from water damage?
It just doesn't seem possible there's no trace of the numbering and letters.
I don't know...
Because, I have a dial just like yours.. water damage I guess
Think about it, why would a faker leave print missing to encourage you to buy a watch?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again squamish
And thanks scubarob99

I'm gradually coming around....
Just can't bear the thought of having bought yet another franken

·
Special Member
2,804 Posts
If you look where the dial code would have been, looks like the only area that has some white residue against the chapter ring. I'd bet good money that's your dial code print that has disintegrated.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is compelling, Rob..
I had wondered why it was the only area with "white residue" which I supposed was merely dirt or dust.
Thanks mate!
Beginning to feel a bit better about things

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nobody has mentioned the bright orange WATER RESIST text. It's rare to see that color even on examples which do not show the heavy discoloration of the markers seen here. That, combined with the missing text from the dial code, makes me think this has been cleaned and repainted. The lume itself could also be a faux-patina, or moisture ingress. If the movement shows water damage as well, it would actually tilt the balance towards authenticity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get your point, John, about the possibility of it being cleaned up and repainted, although the photos have actually exaggerated the "bright orange" water resist text. It's more like a greenish-brown colour. Also, if it has had a paint-over, why leave that whitish stain where 7040Lt should be?
Then again, it did cross my mind that the heavy discolouration of the indices could be "faux-patina"....ffs..!
"The torture never stops"
F.Z

(Movement, by the wat, is actually clean and running outrageously well. Just holding it for a minute (without even wearing it) and it ran for 7 hours...!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suppose it will be impossible to get conclusive proof-evidence whether the dial is original, untouched/unpainted...
Losing too much sleep over this bloody watch!
What a curse collecting vintage seikos...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I suppose it will be impossible to get conclusive proof-evidence whether the dial is original, untouched/unpainted...
Losing too much sleep over this bloody watch!
What a curse collecting vintage seikos...
I would highly suggest you pull the dial and look at the back, even just uncasing it may convince you, but a look at the back is the proof of the pudding :) then you can touch up a little the "touched up" area that currently shows in your pics, a paint marker is all I would do, I don't know what you have in it but it is a nice watch IMO. Please post pics of the back of the dial if you do decide to do it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts