The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a case restoration on 6309 - 7040 that had a missing stem/crown tube. I have posted an article on my website describing the process. It can be found at doughking.wordpress.com

It was a fun project and I am happy with the results.

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
Welcome, and what an entrance!

Hi Bob,
I'm very impressed with the procedure you used- truly it is the best method of restoring these. Your jig for holding the tube while machining the case-inserted portion was genius too! So the question is, did you make several hundred more tubes for all your new friends? ;-)

Keep up the good work,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Noah. I almost enjoy the process of figuring it out more than the doing. I only made the one, but am set up to make more if there is an interest.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Top marks from me - very impressive indeed, I've not seen anybody else do this fix properly before. Now you've perfected the process, how many hours work would there be to make and fit a new tube in another 7040 case?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks feca67. Depending on the condition of the case, tube, etc., I would estimate 2-4 hours to prep the case, turn the part and press it in. One of the things I am not sure about is the tolerance requirements for the tube and case interface to create a truly waterproof seal. I created a part that is a couple thousands different from the case and it is a tight enough fit to be completely functional, but watertight at pressure is a different issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should be able to simply type doughking.wordpress.com into the address bar of your browser or as a google search. Let me know if you continue to have a problem, i can email the pdf to you.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Sir tried that one but

Tryed it but it say .......... TAG's do not have that blog .
Is it in the PDF, I like to read it please.
Aloha and thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
wow

nice work bob. let me know if your ever interested in trying to get a coin bezel on these 6309-7040. wish murphy did one but thats one thing id like to mod on one of mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jk1969. At the moment I barely have time for my projects on top of my work schedule, but send me an image of what you're thinking about and I'll mull it over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aaaahhhh. Thanks for the photos. I will take a look at my 6105 project watch and see what the bezel interface to the 6309 case looks like. i will say right out of the shute that a coin edge will be a pain in the "caseback" to produce by hand, but a CNC set up would make quick work of it. I would have to outsource this aspect. Just thinking outloud. I will give it a looksee and give it some thought.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
bob i have a murphy bezel that was supposed to fit my skx but my guys said it wouldn't fix the six??? so i could get you that also if it helps
let me know jeremy 310.497.3355

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I probably won't have a chance to look at the bezel situation until next week. Jeremy hang on to the Murphy and I will give you a call about taking a look at it.

Bob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts