The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently negotiating to buy a 6159 7001. Does a relumed dial diminishes the value of the watch considerably?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Nobody can tell you what to value personally, but generally in the resale market original/untouched dials are among the most important details.

Shorter: yes (but the 6159 might still be worth the price asked)

·
Administrator
32,871 Posts
For me personally it would depend on the dial, if the old lume on the dial and hands had rotted then I would prefer buying it with a quality relume but if dial and hand lume had just aged then I would prefer buying it not relumed.

I think a quality relume would possible make it more saleable than a watch with rotten lume.

Given the choice of buying one with aged lume but good against a relumed one I personally would pay more for the non relumed one.

I suppose value also depends on your intentions with the watch, if you are buying it to keep for "ever" then if the relume makes you happy, great, but if your a flipper the relume could affect the price and desireability when you come to sell it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (imo).

Imo it's obviously down to you and how you feel.

Great watch by the way, I'm wearing one now and it's a joy to watch the second hand sweeping round and when you hear it running on the Timegrapher it sounds like a woodpecker :)

A picture or two would be nice ? :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me personally it would depend on the dial, if the old lume on the dial and hands had rotted then I would prefer buying it with a quality relume but if dial and hand lume had just aged then I would prefer buying it not relumed.

I think a quality relume would possible make it more saleable than a watch with rotten lume.

Given the choice of buying one with aged lume but good against a relumed one I personally would pay more for the non relumed one.

I suppose value also depends on your intentions with the watch, if you are buying it to keep for "ever" then if the relume makes you happy, great, but if your a flipper the relume could affect the price and desireability when you come to sell it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (imo).

Imo it's obviously down to you and how you feel.

Great watch by the way, I'm wearing one now and it's a joy to watch the second hand sweeping round and when you hear it running on the Timegrapher it sounds like a woodpecker :)

A picture or two would be nice ? :)
Thanks for your reply. The reason why I asked is because the seller has one with professionally relumed hands/hour markers and one that is all original. So he is giving me the choice but both are priced the same.

I guess I will opt for the all original one. Will post a pic once I get it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw is it a fact that 6159 7001 bezels were black with gold markers when new and when it fades it turns to black with silver?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts