The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here ...
When wearing your 6139's, do you wear it with the chrono ON or OFF?
For me, it's always OFF. Looks more professional that way I think, although no sec hand is moving :'(

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Always on for me on 6139 or 6138. Less wear on the watch with minimal loss in power reseve. These are friction braked chronos.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't it look stupid though wearing it with the chrono ON? Looks like you're always timing something for no purpose??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my point is, if only it has a seconds subdial hand that's constantly moving, wearing it with the chrono ON would probably not even cross your mind.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Technoman said:
Always on for me on 6139 or 6138. Less wear on the watch with minimal loss in power reseve. These are friction braked chronos.
+1

It appears to be the accepted wisdom that the 6138 & 6139 chronos should be left running.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
ilovewatches said:
definietly off. with virtually all chronographs it's not a good idea to keep the sweep hand running

I believe the 6139 movement falls into the 'virtually' category here you mention above. Clutch wear is generally the biggest concern in chronos and for vertical clutch setups (which the 6139 and 6138 are) it is generally accepted that these should be left running with the clutch disengaged. I believe that the general rule of thumb is that for horizontal clutch chrono's the opposite is true.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
I've been wondering about this - thanks for the topic!

Now, how could leaving the chrono running be less wear to the watch? At least two extra parts are moving, right? I get what Techo is saying though - having it disengaged is like riding your clutch in a manual shift car?

What is the drain to the power reserve if it's running? I've been wondering about this question for the past week or more.

·
Administrator
32,072 Posts
Spencer said:

Now, how could leaving the chrono running be less wear to the watch? At least two extra parts are moving, right?

What is the drain to the power reserve if it's running? I've been wondering about this question for the past week or more.
I am not any sort of expert on these (or anything for that matter) but how it was explained to me it would be like slipping the clutch on your car as there is a clutch system keeping the sweep hand at the 12/0 position so by keeping it stationary it will be rapidly(or more rapidly) wearing it out due to over use, so i was advised to leave it running on a automatic.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
VERY interesting.

Now, is the drain on the power reserve little or no different than that experienced by a regular watch with a sweep second hand?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Technoman said:
I believe the 6139 movement falls into the 'virtually' category here you mention above. Clutch wear is generally the biggest concern in chronos and for vertical clutch setups (which the 6139 and 6138 are) it is generally accepted that these should be left running with the clutch disengaged. I believe that the general rule of thumb is that for horizontal clutch chrono's the opposite is true.
Are there anymore links to this topic elaborating more on the vertical clutch setup?

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
I guess I assumed that when the chrono hand was stationary, it was like having a manual car in neutral. The engine is turning over, but the tranny is just sitting there - not wearing, not moving. But what I'm reading here is that it's actually like having the clutch down, riding it, with wear occurring but on a part that isn't as durable as the engine/transmission setup.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Spencer said:

Now, how could leaving the chrono running be less wear to the watch? At least two extra parts are moving, right? I get what Techo is saying though - having it disengaged is like riding your clutch in a manual shift car?

Drain on PR shouldn't be more that a couple of hours than without the chrono running.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Thats been my experience as well, frankly in real terms, it makes no real difference.

sjbrook said:
Drain on PR shouldn't be more that a couple of hours than without the chrono running.

·
Registered
964 Posts
There should not be something like a clutch wear issue. The clutch is worn by activating/dis-activating it. Once it's in an end position, there should be no wear as the parts are not moving relatively to each other!
This is for sure different with a traditional chrono with a horizontal clutch. There you will (at least theoritical) experience clutch wear when the chrono is running.
Maybe the rule of thumb thing comes from thinking an "opposite" design might have "opposite" fall backs.

Just my thoughts, though,

Axel

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Wow, so the 6139's were not made available to the public until August of 1969? My newest 6139 was made in June of '69 - so they were cranking them out prior to the release date - mine would have been made and set aside? What actual month did 6139 production begin?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts