The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,First off, I'm so grateful for this community and all of the amazing above-and-beyond help and education I've been given. It's really amazing, truly. Now I need to go to well, AGAIN.I've assembled multiple versions of the 6139 in the past few weeks, and in every case I'm having an issue getting the damn second hand seated fully. I don't want to put too much pressure on the hand to get it seated, as I'm afraid of damaging the movement. But with the Chronos, if that second hand isn't seated well, when you reset it, it comes out of alignment. This just keeps happening, even when I would swear the damn thing is down. I've checked that the tube on the hand isn't split, I know the movement is at Top Dead Center, but it's just not locked in - anyone have a technique for this?Thanks!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Do you have a copy of the technical guide for the 6139 concerning the second hand installation? If not I can give you the specific instructions concerning installation.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure wish I did - I'm figuring this out on my own or from info gleaned online. Having a hand press for the hands would be preferable, but is there some other trick to it beyond that? As I said, I'm leery of putting too much pressure on the vertical clutch column.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is FANTASTIC - thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
The shaft on the centre wheel is of square profile on the 6139's to prevent slippage when you reset. If you are re-fitting the original sweep hand, then the square hole in the tube needs to align properly with the square 'peg' of the shaft. If you force it when the two are not aligned then you lose the snug fit. I believe you are supposed to hold down the reset pusher whilst filling the hand to avoid this problem.

Martin

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
In addition to what the others have mentioned, you can also adjust the reset speed for the chrono. You will need to bend the click for the reset button slightly. The click is indicated by the arrow, as is the direction you should bend it. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAYS...don't bend it too much. If the chrono resets softer, you will be much less likely to pop the sweep hand off when you reset it.

Don't be afraid to push the hand on firmly...sometimes that is the only way to get it seated. I usually use the flat end of a toothpick that has been cut in half to push the hand down without damaging it. If done right, the hand should only WANT to go on one way...resetting to zero.

Unfortunately, each hand is fitted specifically to the center wheel of each watch. You can't just put a used second hand from another watch on your watch and have the chrono reset to zero, as the chrono hand axle is not clocked in a specific position on all 6139s from the factory. Early 6139s, ones with "two-piece" sweep hands, have hands that can be adjusted once they are set on the axle, but later watches do not have this. The Tech Manual discusses this procedure in detail, but it is not really applicable to later watches with the "one piece" hand. Special hand setting tools are required to put a new or used hand on a later watch that it didn't come on, or to tighten up a hand that is loose on it's axle. ---A

Attachments

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting...

I have three sets of second hands to choose from (four actually, I think) and looking at them carefully, all have round, not square, tubes and shafts. Part of my confusion came from that fact - they appear to be interchangable. The watch I'm currently wearing in fact is my FrankenChrono. The second hand on this baby has now been on two different movements, and I was able to align it on both of them.

I was aware that the early models had adjustable hands (two-piece) but that the later ones weren't adjustable. Frankly, I'd be amazed that a mass-produced watch would have parts that were specific to a particular watch - how could that be?

I'm currently at work so I'll take this great info home and see what I can see.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Spencer said:
Interesting...

I have three sets of second hands to choose from (four actually, I think) and looking at them carefully, all have round, not square, tubes and shafts. Part of my confusion came from that fact - they appear to be interchangable. The watch I'm currently wearing in fact is my FrankenChrono. The second hand on this baby has now been on two different movements, and I was able to align it on both of them.

I was aware that the early models had adjustable hands (two-piece) but that the later ones weren't adjustable. Frankly, I'd be amazed that a mass-produced watch would have parts that were specific to a particular watch - how could that be?

I'm currently at work so I'll take this great info home and see what I can see.
I think what was meant by can't change the hands between one and another is that the hand only becomes specific to a watch when it is first pressed into postion, the squared off shaft the hand fits on to is not in any uniform postion and is there to prevent slippage when reseting, this is why it's hard to get hands from other chrono's to line up properly as their center shaft may have been in a slightly different position when the hand was first pressed. as far as I know the squared off end has no uniform relationship with the cog at the other end from one chrono to another which accounts for the hand swapping problems.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh-ho... interesting. I can see how that would work. Every day I'm learning more, and finding out that all I know just isn't that much. Which means I get to learn more, which is great! More to learn, more to know.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DrSeiko said:
Hi Spencer, you should get some help with this essay, it basically show you how to remove the flats in the pipe so that you can re center it to the new pinion flats.

http://seikoholics.yuku.com/topic/334

Cheers,
Randall

Absolutely fantastic. I've added that to the TOP of my watch links folder. This is like a grail of information for me, exactly what I was looking for. Now I understand. THANK YOU.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts