The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May I ask how accurate (rate) one of these watches should be? i.e. What would a 38 year old one in apparent good order (no rust and all original) should be over lets say a 24 hour period. Plus or minus what? Oh and how good they were when they were brand new?
Peter

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Welcome Peter, you may get all sorts of answers as some guys will say theres runs perfect, others may say +/- 15 seconds a day, it all really depends how the watch has been looked after over the years, perhaps beat about and had a hard life and never service which would possible mean it won't perform as well as one that has been serviced a couple of times or perhaps never been worn so really the answer is "How long is a piece of string ? " :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I accept the phrase "how long is a piece of string" although it would have been nice to know what Seiko may have expected back in 1976 when my helmet was made. However things have moved on. By more than luck than judgement, I managed to get the watch to a gain of only one second every 48 hours and over a 7 day period. Amazing you might say but it WAS that good PROVIDED as it turns out it was on my wrist day and night. Yesterday it was off my wrist for 8 hours and it immediately lost 60 seconds. So I put it back on wrist overnight and it still lost 160 seconds by this morning. So what's going on? I don't need to be told to get it serviced but I am interested to know what a service think it will cure. Is it for example old congealed oil loosening up with my body heat or is it spring not been adequately wound up or what? I would appreciate some comments.
Peter
Merry Christmas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts