The Watch Site banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Authored by AadmanZ

Hi all,

This is my first review and I am a relative newbie when it comes to watches and Seikos and particular, but since I have found so much information on this forum I thought it would be only fair to add my two cents.

Serial
The watch in question is a 6139-7010. (dial says 6139-7010T) Serial: 023363. Judging only from some interwebs research it appears to be a bit of a rarity.

Nickname
Not sure if it has a nickname, but I guess that would be Speed-Timer as that is what it says on the dial
From what I can gather it is a Japan domestic market model. The datewheel is in English/Kanji (Japanese) and the name Speed-timer was supposedly only used on Japanese models.

Overview
The dial and case are marked: Waterproof (dial: WATER70mPROOF) which (according to several people much more knowledgeable than me) apparently was only used on earlier models, the calculator tells me it is a march 1972 model however. Correction: Feb 1970, mystery solved.
What makes this watch interesting to me is that it has an arabic dial (it has numbers on), this appears to be unique this one model, as I have been unable to unearth another one like it.

Case and movement
The two chrono buttons do work, but are a bit hard to push in. I guess age does that to a watch, it might need some new gaskets, but as the watch is in fine running order, I think I will leave it for now.
The second hand and the subdial hand reset to zero quite well, the second hand occasionally not coming back to the 12o clock position entirely.
The daydate set function is a bit weird, I believe it is called a quickset, but it is anything but.
Trying to set the day without changing the date is all but impossible, but when would you want to do that anyway
? The crown is nicely recessed and slightly concave, which is a small, but nice design feature.
It seems that the Tachymeter ring is a tiny bit offset, perhaps by 0.1 second. From the info in the FAQ on buying 6139s I gather that my second hand is an aftermarket one due to the fact that it has a silver colored head on it.

Crystal
The state the Crystal is proof of the age of the watch. It has quite some scratches and could probably do with a replacement. The case has some scratches, but since polishing those out would jeopardise the brushed finish, I will probably leave them.

Strap
The strap it came on was crappy and non genuine, which (it being Japanese) was way too short for my Northern European ([email protected] [email protected]@rd) wrists. I have put it on a cheap Fossil Flieger style strap for now until I find something more suitable.

Overall
I bought this watch as a souvenir from Japan, and as my first vintage, it is a great memento of a really nice trip.
Love the idea of owning a watch that is older than I am.
I really recommend Japan as a holiday destination, but not so much for watch shopping, they have plenty, but with the current exchange rate
(and that's Euro/yen, dollars is much worse at the moment)

I have to be very honest here and say that I would probably have preferred one of the models with the dual subdials, but the ones I have seen were all hideously expensive.

Questions:
Regarding the waterproof versus water resist dials and cases, if Seiko changed all these in the course of '69-'70, how is it possible that mine (waterproof) would be dated march '72?
Any suggestions? Quote:
Edit: solved, I had the date wrong. [/t][/t]Which brings me to the question of how 6xxx series relate to the 7/8xxx series. Is it the absence of the rotating inner bezel?

I am trying to figure out which movement I have, the 21 jewel 'A' or the 17 jewel 'B'? Does anyone have a way of figuring that one out without taking the watch apart?

Thanks for taking the time to read my little WIS rant.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts