The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me introduce my self. I'm a strap maker and watch lover, on WATCHUSEEK, my handle is millsous. I've been after a 7010 for quite some time and decided to pull the trigger on one when one came available.

I just received a Seiko 6139-7010 in the mail and it seems there may be an issue with the movement. The second hand is ticking fine but the hour/minute hands are stationary. Date seems to set fine but the day doesn't.

What I'm wondering is, should I send it to be repaired and who to? Or, should I just replace the movement if there is something seriously wrong with the chrono.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well hello..glad to see you with us...well you might want to look and see if anything happened in transit...if you feel comfortable...i would take the back cover off and take out the movement and see if it will work outside the case...things can get jumbled up in shipping and it might just be something simple...i had a 6139 that was shipped to me recently and found out one of the pushers were stuck and after taking it apart...there was nothing wrong...with the other issues like day not moving...that might need some more attention...if you need anything ..let me know...i will try and help as much as i can...try ClockBloke too he is very good with these too...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Probably the cannon pinion is too loose or has slipped off centre wheel. See quote from the web.

When there is too little friction at the cannon pinion, hand setting will seem excessively light. Low friction may also create slippage between cannon pinion and the great wheel pinion during normal running to the point that timekeeping appears to be erratic: the movement may be running at regular rate, but the cannon pinion--and thus the minute hand, minute wheel, hour wheel, and hour hand--will not remain with the movement. Neither a center seconds nor subsidiary seconds hand will be affected by this slippage. Thus, correct seconds indication with a drifting minute hand is a sure indication that the problem is cannon pinion slippage rather than a true rate problem with the movement

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
It is not a common problem with the 6139 but it seems like the cannon pinion may be loose and the crown may have crap behind it limiting its travel so the day will not quick set. If the movement is otherwise OK a service/repair is the way to go.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Definately try repairing that - there seems no point to sack off an entire movement becasue of a few faults. At worst it may need a replacement bit.

Thats a very nice model to have picked up - may we see a picture of it?

Oh my! your straps are unbelievably good. It is something I am doing too, more for my own amusement but I had intended to sell oneday soon. It is very early days for me. I see a lot of 'strap makers' whos offereings are maybe a little less than perfect.....yours are amazing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definately try repairing that - there seems no point to sack off an entire movement becasue of a few faults. At worst it may need a replacement bit.

Thats a very nice model to have picked up - may we see a picture of it?

Oh my! your straps are unbelievably good. It is something I am doing too, more for my own amusement but I had intended to sell oneday soon. It is very early days for me. I see a lot of 'strap makers' whos offereings are maybe a little less than perfect.....yours are amazing.
Thanks for the good words, Tom. It started as a hobby for me, but as a design by trade a tinker by hobby, it only made sense for me to get obsessed with it. Offering it to others was only the next step.

Once I get to 5 posts (It's frowned upon to drive post count up, so I'll make sure to be active :) I'll post a picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom, I do see that you do watch repairs. What's your availability currently and do you repair these movements? I'm ready to get this baby on my wrist!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Tom, I do see that you do watch repairs. What's your availability currently and do you repair these movements? I'm ready to get this baby on my wrist!
PM sent! I'd love to repair your watch, no problem, but also I'm really keen to talk to you about straps! :)'

BTW, I think it is always fair to say that Duncan (Cannop) here in the UK and Spencer Kleine (not on the forum) in the states, also take on 6139 repair work.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well it would be great to see some pics....hey sounds great...please keep us updated too...God Bless John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts