The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First time poster. Tom Hickman sent me this way as I've just purchased my first Seiko from Ebay and I require a bit of advice.

I have just recieved a 6139-6012 which was advertsised as completely original and the crystal was said to be scratch free.

However on inspection the edge of the crystal above the 12hour marker is ever so slightly chipped and feels rough to the touch. I have contacted the seller and advised them of this, and they've applogised and offered to source a new crystal, or return the watch.

I do love the watch and was just wondering a few things

1. How much would it cost to put a new crystal in?
2. Could I do this myself?
3. Does it have to be an original crystal from the 1970s or are their better tougher modern day crystals?
4. Do they make replacement Saphire Crystals for this watch?

Thanks for your help,

James

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Welcome to the forum James! Sounds like your well on your way to WIS Insanity worrying about a tiny chip on the edge of a crystal.

Replacement mineral glass crystals and nos crystals are available.

You can do it yourself if you have a few special tools: Case back opener and crystal press to re-install the bezel.

Nobody offers a Saphire crystal for this model that I know of.

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information. The seller has offered to replace the crystal for me. I think that's the safest option.

Heres a picture of the damage. Hopefully will be put right after the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Every watchmaker should be able to install the replacement for a small fee.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Personally I could live with a small chip unless I could get an exact replacement. Aftermarket and some genuine Seiko crystals have slightly different inner profiles that diminish the appearance of the tachymeter ring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a good point pollyc.....arghhh what to do?

I've resized the strap and it does look rather handsome even with the chip which isnt noticable.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Ask the seller for the cost of a new crystal (or send you one) then if later you decide you can not live with the chip you can get Tom or Me to fit it for you. You would have to factor in the postage to and fro but it would be sensible to check/replace the gaskets at the same time.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
very good advice from two very smart people...beautiful watch

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
watchthis_space-

Perhaps a little off the main subject but it looks like a beautiful walnut table top as well. Welcome to the forum by the way, glad to have you !

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
that is such a beautiful watch...like it more every time i see it...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Hi James. Can you tell me, is the crystal currently fitted slightly domed on top or dead flat? I think domed would indicate an original crystal (unless someone is making domed AM replicas). Flat would indicate that the crystal is already AM. I'll be curious to see what your seller sends you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks jringo8769. I'm really happy with how it looks.

Tritto, its got an ever so slight dome to it. Hardly noticeable to the eye, but can feel it rocking when on a flat surface.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts