The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been lucky enough to obtain a Seiko 6139-6005. I obtained this fine example from a member of this forum. No, it did not come with a bracelet. However, it seems to run extremely well. It keeps very accurate time, the chronograph resets to zero, the hardlex is in great shape, the day/date works fine. Nothing really too bad it seems. However, the previous owner was unaware of any service done to the watch. So, a few questions:

(1) Does anyone know if there is anywhere near Ft. Benning, GA that will service such a watch? How much is right? Some online places seem to be price gouging but maybe they are the good ones and the cheaper range is the poor quality.

(2) My shear interest makes me want to remove the caseback (unsure if that is the correct word...or even a word at all) to see what condition it is in under there.

(3) The movement seems heavy. I can feel when the rotor is turning. Is that normal? Maybe that is why I want to look into the watch and see. I mean, I am unqualified to really do anything to the watch, I just want to see what I am dealing with.

Any insight is great. Thanks in advance!

Frank

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
(1) Does anyone know if there is anywhere near Ft. Benning, GA that will service such a watch? How much is right?
There are some great repair folks here on SCWF. Probably better than your local opportunities because they focus on Seiko. This is especially important (in my opinion) with chronographs.

(2) My shear interest makes me want to remove the caseback (unsure if that is the correct word...or even a word at all) to see what condition it is in under there.
If you have a caseback opener, there's no reason, if you're careful, not to take a peek. I wouldn't muck with it if you haven't got an idea what you're touching though.

(3) The movement seems heavy. I can feel when the rotor is turning. Is that normal? Maybe that is why I want to look into the watch and see. I mean, I am unqualified to really do anything to the watch, I just want to see what I am dealing with.
This is normal. The weight is because this is a mechanical watch. Likely this is different from what you might have owned before, assuming it was a quartz watch (quartz innards are lighter than a mechanical movement). Regarding the swinging weight, yes, that's a good sign if it's swinging around. It's doing it's thing. That weight is the key to an automatic wind (rather than a manual wind) watch.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ah that must be the blue resist dial one that was posted a week or so ago on here? Looks a very clean watch with no faded inner bezel if I am correct? In fact I tried buying it but like so many people in the States he did not answer me even though I offered full money for the watch!

Is the watch working ok and keeping good time? If it is then I wouldn't bother having it serviced! Only get it serviced if it starts becoming a bad time keeper or the chrono hands are slow to return when reset. If it ain't broke don't fix it in other words :)

The strap on that should look like this one if it is the resist dial....

The later type straps were wider at the watch end.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ClockBloke,

Yes, that is the watch! It is very clean and everything works as it should. All pushers work without issue and the crown works.

Frank

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
ClockBloke,

Yes, that is the watch! It is very clean and everything works as it should. All pushers work without issue and the crown works.

Frank
If it all works ok and the pushers are nice and smooth I'd leave it alone until you need it serviced :) I have a friend who collects Omega watches and he's repair guy one of the top Omega chaps in the UK refuses to service watches with no faults. I must admit that goes against the grain for me as I'm a ex mechanic and now a clock restorer and I recommend once a year but watches are different to clocks. Just get a nice strap on it and enjoy the watch :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Be warned they are addictive! There are 3 I own not on this photo including that silver dial one I posted earlier....

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I would agree with Tony, if it aint broke......unless you plan to wear it every day then having a clean and freshly lubricated movement will save wearing it out.

IMO from my own experience these movements are bomb proof work horses. It does not necessarily have to be serviced by a chronograph expert, just a competent and methodical watchmaker, someone who is prepared to look at the technical service sheet before getting stuck in.

By all means take the caseback off and have a look, a nice clean and shiny movement with intact screw heads is a good sign but having said that I have seen a few grubby ones that have been working fine.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I would agree with Tony, if it aint broke......unless you plan to wear it every day then having a clean and freshly lubricated movement will save wearing it out.

IMO from my own experience these movements are bomb proof work horses. It does not necessarily have to be serviced by a chronograph expert, just a competent and methodical watchmaker, someone who is prepared to look at the technical service sheet before getting stuck in.

By all means take the caseback off and have a look, a nice clean and shiny movement with intact screw heads is a good sign but having said that I have seen a few grubby ones that have been working fine.

I bow to Mikes knowledge! This forum is going to be yours and your Seiko addictions best friend!

Oh wouldn't life be simple if we only had one to choose from each day... hold the f on! I did until this year and now I own 25 of the little blighters!

Agree totally though if being used daily get it serviced. And agree with not needing to be a professional watch guy as in 'my' experience the best service I have had is via competent hobbyists. In fact the professional guys I know are all crooks and don't do a proper job. I sorted out a Bellmatic for a friend when he's mate a so called professional both ruined the dial by breaking off a foot and it misted up the first time he wore it on a damp day. If you plan getting the watch wet I 'would' have it serviced and the seals inspected or replaced. If it's just a nice watch to make you feel good at work or at home I'd not be so worried. What ever it looks a real clean example and probably only lost it's strap as the original owner preferred a leather one against his skin :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just popped the caseback off...it sure looks clean in there. Thanks Pollyc. I do plan on wearing this watch to work on days I am not in the field. I will need a new watch band though. Went to the PX to find anything that would fit so I could start wearing it. The only thing they had was a cheap NATO knockoff for $8 and is blue/grey. I do not like it in the least. I guess I'll have to scour the bay. Oh, and ClockBloke, I already want a yellow dial one...and a parts watch to have on hand just in case. Oh, 3Pedals, thanks for your information too, I bought a caseback opener at the PX yesterday!

Frank

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Just popped the caseback off...it sure looks clean in there. Thanks Pollyc. I do plan on wearing this watch to work on days I am not in the field. I will need a new watch band though. Went to the PX to find anything that would fit so I could start wearing it. The only thing they had was a cheap NATO knockoff for $8 and is blue/grey. I do not like it in the least. I guess I'll have to scour the bay. Oh, and ClockBloke, I already want a yellow dial one...and a parts watch to have on hand just in case. Oh, 3Pedals, thanks for your information too, I bought a caseback opener at the PX yesterday!

Frank
Ah and so the illness starts :D My favourite is the silver dial one I own. Super classy. Your in the best place for picking up cheap spares as they fetch far more here in the UK. I'm sure you'll get your paws on a nice strap in no time. Seeing that your in a humid part of the USA I'd keep a eye for misting inside the dial just in case the seals or gasket are weak.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ClockBloke,

That was why I thought about getting it serviced, so I could get the seals replaced. Down here, it feels like I am swimming when I am outside (which is all the time). I wouldnt want to hurt a watch in this good of condition (based on my untrained eye). I do, however, hope to learn more. This watch just has so much history to it, how can someone not be a fan of it?

Frank

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I lived in Richmond VA for a while so know what you mean ;) Just keep a eye on the back of the glass. You'll soon see if it's got issues. I went swimming with mine on the other day as I forgot to take it off as I am use to a bomb proof Casio G-Shock and it was fine although I'd not recommend it and always take off my watches even when cleaning the car or dishes normally. Some of the seals can be hard to get so better not disturbing them unless you find it's got issues in my humble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ClockBloke,

So, I took the caseback off to see if the inside looked as nice as the outside. It did. I made sure the O-Ring was placed in the same location. Should I now be concerned?

Frank

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
ClockBloke,

So, I took the caseback off to see if the inside looked as nice as the outside. It did. I made sure the O-Ring was placed in the same location. Should I now be concerned?

Frank
Nope as long as done back up tight (ish aka don't over tighten) should be fine :) Just keep a eye on it and don't go swimming for any ship wrecks with it on and it'll be alright. You'll soon see if you have issues by condensation building up on the inside of the crystal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts