The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this so bear with me please. I've come across this and have very severe doubts , claims to be a Seiko 6139-6002 5 Sports Speedtimer, Pepsi bezel JDM '77. Any opinions ? Looks to be an aftermarket franken !
Seiko 6139-6002 5 Sports Speedtimer.jpg

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Not sure why but it seems these FAKE sunrise teal dials are all getting mounted on wrong month of production -6002 coming out of the UK.

See this one:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
All the ones you sent links for are not original which means the dials are probably am ones. For a Sunrise the case date code must be either November or December of 1972. Seiko seems to have only made them for two months. Ads that done show clear dates and serial numbers are automatically suspect. There are some buying guides on this forum that have excellent info on all versions of the 6139. Grammar has posted terrific pictures of real 6139 Sunrise watches. Here is a picture of a correct caseback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the information and the photos, all confirming my own thoughts. Too many suddenly appearing on the market, some very obvious. The seller of the first one pictured did get back to me confirming that it was made using aftermarket parts. Should have spotted the year. I had read about the production only lasting 2 months in '72. Maybe someday I'll get lucky.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Thanks for all the information and the photos, all confirming my own thoughts. Too many suddenly appearing on the market, some very obvious. The seller of the first one pictured did get back to me confirming that it was made using aftermarket parts. Should have spotted the year. I had read about the production only lasting 2 months in '72. Maybe someday I'll get lucky.
You just have to patient and don’t hesitate when a really one comes along that is reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts